Help Identifying Honda Fork Spring Rate

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I have a set of Honda fork springs with part number 51402-KZ3-B01. I looked the p/n up on a honda parts website and also called the local honda dealer, but it only gives a decsription of "fork spring". Does anyone know if the p/n is different for the different fork spring rates or how the fork spring should be marked to determine the spring rate? The fork spring fits CRF's and CR250s.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In my '99 Honda owner's manual, it shows that the different Honda fork springs are identified by the # of 'compressed' coil windings on the end. For my '99, the stock 0.42 kg/mm springs have 3 compressed coils on one end of the spring and 1 coil at the other. The 0.40 springs are 1 coil at each end. The 0.44 are 2 coils at one end and 1 at the other. There is a picture showing these in the suspension adjustment section of the owner's manual.

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
The service manual for my 2001CR250 says that the stock fork springs have no marks (0.44) and stiffer springs have 2 marks (0.46) and the softer springs have one mark (0.42). I don't know if this is the same for fork springs for a CRF450? Does anyone know if the notch marks wear away during use?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom