Help needed with kdx200 running bad

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
This is kind of a last ditch approach, but take off the seat & start your bike. Run it around the yard/street, whatever, until it starts getting jiggy again. Shut it down & pour a bucket of ice water over the CDI box. Wait a few seconds, then see if it helps the situation. Don't let the water run into the airbox. Once had a Boss Mustang with a Mallory CDI ignition (back in the day), and when the box went bad it did just what you're describing. Would barely start, then puke/sputter/backfire, etc. - ran like it had no compression.

BTW, this thread is more evidence this board is the best thing on the 'net. :cool:

Last edited:

briora

Aug 6, 2002
Jason,
Did your CDI feel hot, or at least warm. After I ran till it went bad I felt the CDI it didn't feel the least bit worn. BTW fiwing the stator wires didn't help. Have a guy who will get me a new one for 75.00 is that a good deal?
Bri

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
I was having similar problems. Then My bike fianly died and lost all spark. I tested the resistance in everything. The CDI was the only part that did not spec out. I ordered a new one. Installed it 9 days later. Still no spark. How could this be I thought? Well I decided to pull the flywheel. The wh/r lead had worn through the insulation. It was arcing out and slowly destroyed one of the small coils of wire. What a bummer. I have a freind that is electonics guru and he is rewinding and repairing it. I hope it works. If you have the same problem you could send it to:

http://www.rickystator.com/

Good Luck

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Briora,
It's been a while since you posted any progress on your situation, where are you at right now? Did you figure out the problem? Don't give up! :thumb:

briora

Aug 6, 2002
Haven't touched it in about a week, but earlier i did mention that my stator wires wt/r where worn through the insulation just like gladiator, fixed that but still not right. I'm thinking it was arching and caused a problem with the stator. I will try replacing it at the end of this week. I think this might be it!

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
Just to let you guys know. I tried re-winding the exciter coil on my stator. It did give me spark but not enough. I just cant get the windings tight and neat enough. I have a guy giving me a '92 kx250 stator. My bike is '93 kdx250 so the ignition should be the same. I am hoping the exciter coil is the same. I am going to try and use it. If not, I am going to break down and buy a new one.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
What about the main engine seals, the ones around the the crankshaft. Maybe the one on the left side is leaking and letting hot air into the premix chamber. The bike would run fine cold, but once the stator compartment became hot, it would cause your bike to run bad. Just a thought.
Jim

Top Bottom