briora

Aug 6, 2002
HELP NEEDED with KDX

Just got my son a 1984 kdx 200, it's running terrible when first starts it seems o.k. after riding for about 10 minutes it starts to bog real bad I think I could run faster than the bike and will stall. It was running rich when we got it, so we did variuos like clean the air filter, change the gas , plug, and moved the clip up one. started much easier in 3-4 kicks with choke on. But stil runs like shyt soon after. It seems to still run rich by looking at the plug it is a very dark brown & a little wet. Moving the air adjustment seemed to do no good either way all the way in to all the way out. The clip is currently in the second from top position, wondering if I should attemp to go to the top? The guy we got it from said he just put in boysen reeds but didn,t make any adjustments. although I have since we got it. Just trying to figure this one out. I thinks it's when it gets hot it bogs, or a rich problem. I've seen alot of talk on here about Adjusting the main and the pilot. not sure what you guys are talking about, wondering if they atre adjustments I should be making to try and correct my problem. It's all new to me I'm a 4 stroke guy. But with KDX I better learn the 2's.
Thanks

Last edited:

krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
The main and pilot jets in the carb.
Now I asked my favorite two stroke shop to help with your other trouble, and they listed the following things as need to check.

1. heat rang of spark plug
2. pre mix ratio
3. float level
4. leak in carb, around choke
5. engine top end worn
6. kips valve broken

I hope this helps, and let us know what you find. Maybe some oneelse will post something for you if this dosen't help you fix it.

briora

Aug 6, 2002
2.) i dont really know the exact ratio. i mix it 40:1 tell me if i should go richer like 32:1 or suttin. 3.) i dont know the float level, how do u find that out? 4.) there are no leaks at all!!! 5.) the seller said i would need one in like two seasons. 6.) what is the kip valve and where is it?. thanks for the info and help everyone.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You gotta go here:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

Jetting info on your bike, step by step with popular modifications.

Changing to those reeds would call for a leaner jetting sequence...so whatever it WAS, it's richer NOW.

Remove the fuel bowl. The main is in plain view. The pilot is just in front of it in a recessed hole. Read up on CDave's site, check what you've got, change to what he recommends, check back if you have any fine tuning Qs.

Howzzat?

My post to this thread last week evidently got eaten by the post monster. May all be old news by now???

Oh...float level is important. Get the spec for your bike. It's 16mm for newer kdxs..but I'm quite sure it's NOT 16mm for your bike.

Put in a new plug.

Top Bottom