riche

Oct 13, 2002
I picked up a winter project it's a 82 RT 180 in bad shape. The engine is shot and the front forks are slightly bent. Does anybody know if I can replace the motor with a IT or MX or any other Yamaha in the 175-200 class. I'm just trying to have a bike to follow my daughter around on. I don't plan on jumping just some easy trail riding. Rich

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
I'm pretty sure ( not 100%) the RT180s used the same engine as the monoshock DT175s, they should swap straight across. MX175s with oil injection and monoshock should work, too. IT models were different but might not be a hard swap if you're up for some fabrication. Good luck!

P.S. I have been told that slightly bent forks can be straightened in a press, but that it's not safe to straighten them more than once. This advice was from the service manager at a local shop.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I had bought a RT180 to follow my son around on too. As he got faster, I had to go faster to keep up with him. As a result I bent the forks twice (they can be straightened it it's not too bad) cracked the frame 3 times and pretty much trashed the thing. If you ride on anything but easy trails you are asking for trouble. I'd start saving for sometning better for when your daughter gets faster and when you want to go faster. ;)

riche

Oct 13, 2002
Thanks Bruce and RM. She just started riding towards the end of the summer. She learned on my old Yami GT 80 I also picked up a newer XR 100 [97] so I can follow her. I'm thinking by the end of next summer she will be ready for the xr and I will move up to the Rt frankenstien bike when I get it done. I used to race years ago so I think it will be awhile before I can't keep up but, YA NEVER NO. She might surprise me. Thanks again guys Rich

Top Bottom