Holy Smoke

Apr 22, 2008
My son and I are looking for dirt bikes We live in Raleigh NC and have a fair amount of Tracks and trails to ride as well as some private property we can use.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) My son is 11 yo 88 lbs and 4'10" I am 6'0" and 215 lbs and 44.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
New riders but very competitive.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Everything.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
My son has a little.

5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes definatley. (I will race in the old fart league)
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Were thinking about a suzuki rm 85 for son and a yamaha wr 250f for me. Or should we go with klx 250 and 140. or something like that.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All brands are very close by.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Less than $10,000 for both.
10) Do you live in California?
No.
11) Your age?
11 and 44.
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I guess the main question are bikes like the RM 85 alright for
folks to learn on if they want to race or should we start we mellower
bikes and then move up. I just hate to have to buy two bikes within a year or two.

Apr 30, 2007
The 85 sounds good for your son, just make sure he gets a good deal of saddle time and learns to control the bike *before* he hits a race the track.

As for you, I would suggest a used Honda CRF 250 R. They are pretty doggone solid bikes, and pack a lot of power.

If you are adventurous, try a CRF 450 R. My "cabana boy" (er boyfriend that is) is roughly the same size as you, and decided that a 450 R was a blast, but a little too much bike for him since he was only playing in the gravel pits about three times a year, and he hadn't ridden in quite a few years...

Top Bottom