Help with 03 RM 85 burning tranny oil problem?

feyer33

Jun 25, 2005
Anyone heard of a RM85 that burns tranny oil (about 100 ml every 20 minutes) causing the bike to smoke? The crank shaft and the crank shaft seal have been replaced professionally. The middle crank case gasket has been inspected and replaced with no visual problems... :bang:

My mechanic has tried several times to fix this and we're at a dead end as to what to do next. He even tore down and rebuilt the engine several times... ARG!

Oh yeah... bike runs great and has good power... just smoking a good amount.

Any help is much appreciated.

KX04

May 29, 2005
Your "mechanic" cant be a very good one...

If you are using the right crank seals and their in correctly and the sealing surfaces aren't nicked up or any thing it should not burn the oil

If i were you i would ditch that "mechanic" and get one that knows what the hell hes doing cause if it is the crank seals that mechanic must be bad cause crank seals are easy to do.

I always pack a little grease in them where it rubs the crank shaft it should seal without it but its always a good idea

Last edited by a moderator:

feyer33

Jun 25, 2005
Yeah- I thought it was the crank seal too... my mechanic ( :yikes: ) has replaced the crank seal and the crank bearing a couple of times already..... along with the crank and many other parts... Dang think keeps smokin' like cheech and chong :rotfl: No really... he has done hundreds of these....Crazy bike!

Thanks for you help!

feyer33

Jun 25, 2005
Oh yeah... one other thing...we discovered the problem when we burned off so much tranny oil that the clutch over heated... do you think something could be warped... if so, any ideas on what or where the warping might be?

Thanks again!

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Sometimes the production tolerances for parts can be such that you might just have an engine that has mating surfaces that don't mate up. I realize this may sound odd, but if you have had the suspect parts replaced by somebody who is competent in bike repair, then you are going to have to look at other possibilities.

Top Bottom