XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
CR Swade said:
. . . these facts also prove all dogs can be fatal by proof of the 4lb. Pomeranian attack (nobody claimed otherwise, I think we are all in agreement on that).
ack! Pomeranians! They are evil little bastages! I'd rather swim with sharks! :eek:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
XRpredator said:
ack! Pomeranians! They are evil little bastages! I'd rather swim with sharks! :eek:

Well, if'n ya'lls a "friggin moron" likes me, yous' stay clear of them danged ol pom-o-iranians :eek:

Disclaimer: no offense meant to pom-o-iranians, Iranians, all of God's creatures or anything else under the unversal scope of "stuff, things, people, or any animal kingdom member" and especially "friggin morons"

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Hey Swade: for the love of pomeranians; let it go Dude!

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
CR Swade said:
While any dog can bite, the top biting breeds include:

Pit Bulls
Rotweilers
German Shepherds
Huskies
Doberman Pinschers
Chow Chows

Ironically according to the AKC of the 150 recognized breeds these are pretty popular dogs.

Poplulation rank based on registrations alone in 2002: (source AKC)
Pit Bulls (79)
Rotweilers (13)
German Shepherds (3)
Huskies (21)
Doberman Pinschers (23)
Chow Chows (54)

For reference sake, there were 46,802 more German Shepherds registered in 2002 than there were Greyhounds so certainly with that difference in population there will be more bites by the GS.

Of the 6 listed, 4 of them are in the 25 most popular breeds in America.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Okay, let the love-in begin. :)

Re: dogs, here's another very interesting thing I've noticed. Our first puppy, Kona, was a Shepherd/Lab mix. Popular mix, I was told, by the vet. So anyway Kona was very smart. She potty-trained in the first week we had her, obeyed my "come", "no", "sit" commands instantly, stayed at my feet (literally) at all times, never needed a leash, etc. However, she was a bit more aggressive with the kids. Over time, she mellowed out, but it was a concern in the beginning, and something we were sure we'd have to watch. That was the one thing we feared would cause us to have to give her up. Also, she wasn't very keen on strangers.

Contrast that with our new puppy, "Putty" (named after David Putty from Seinfeld). Putty is a yellow lab that is friggin adorable. She's also as dumb as her namesake. She stares into space a lot. She falls over while sitting down. She pees on the carpet before going outside to play (wouldn't want to mess up the grass, I guess). She can't learn any commands except "drop it", when she's chewing something she's not supposed to. She is also has the best temperment we could ask for. She socializes very well with anyone. She loves everyone. I was hoping to have a dog that would obey all commands & impress everyone with her training. I don't think that's gonna happen with her, but I'll end up liking her more than Kona because of her personality & tenderness. But really, she is mentally challenged. Dumb dog :)

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Sit Ivan !! ....... Good Boy.......... :joke:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
truespode said:
My wife says the same about me.

Ivan

My ex said alot worse about me :think:

here is the registration link that shows the breed breakdown: doggie census

Labs and Goldens account for over 210,000 of the dogs registered in the US while the six top reported bite dogs account for 99,018, with a total of 958,503 registered.

Temperment does count for something and I guess I just feel strongly about this w/ regards to kids and working around these different dogs all the time. Sorry if it came off differently

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
I am sure I came off a bit "rabid" myself, especially my last post. I get that way when I think about that malmute and how close my daughter and her cousin were to being the target.

No offense taken, none meant....

"Can't we all just get along?" LOL

Robert

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
5 Dogs Attack, Kill 2-Year-Old Girl
2 Dogs Destroyed After Attack

POSTED: 10:12 a.m. EST March 12, 2004
UPDATED: 10:13 a.m. EST March 12, 2004

SIMONTON, Texas -- Five dogs mauled a 2-year-old girl to death Thursday afternoon in a Fort Bend County yard.

Video

Pack Of Dogs Kill Girl In Yard

Fort Bend County sheriff's deputies said the girl was playing with her sister when she was attacked shortly after 1 p.m. in the back yard of her great-grandmother's home in the 33400 block of Reynolds Road at Pool Hill.

Madison Kayleen Carson died shortly after arrival Thursday at Polly Ryon Hospital in Richmond.

Carson's 4-year-old sister, who had been playing with her moments earlier, was not injured.

The child's great-grandmother saw the dogs attacking her and pulled them away.

The dogs, which are chows, belonged to a relative who lives nearby, according to investigators.

Relatives said the girl has played with the dogs in the past without incident.

Sheriff's deputies arrived within minutes and one of them shot and killed two of the dogs as they ran away. Animal control officers captured the other three dogs and took them to a holding facility.

The dogs will be kept by the county until a hearing deciding their fate is held before a justice of the peace.

Simonton is 46 miles west of downtown Houston.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Saw that this morning, truly tragic :|

Take a look at these monsters...presa canario
Looks like a pitbull w/ the body size and mass of a mastiff. I've only seen one in person and it is truly a scary dog.

Last edited:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
The video http://www.ksat.com/news/2917639/detail.html (it is not graphic, does not show the attack) brings home the tragedy. The photos of the back yard and all the toys is enough to bring one to tears. :whiner: :whiner:

Do Chows have any redeeming qualities?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
That video... :whiner:

Damn it all anyway. People have GOT to get a clue when it comes to our little ones! I'm sorry if it po's anybody here, but a little 2 year got chewed off the planet. Somebody is responsible...and it sure as hell ain't the people who let their little one play out in the yard. If it is that f'ed up that we can't go in our OWN DAMN yards w/out 24 hour surveillance and a 8 foot fence to keep out the damn rogue people/dogs then it is time to make a change. I'm sick of this, take a stand, the numbers don't lie. I know how we handle it on the farm...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The dog is a reflection of it's owner. I've had a Chow and he was the most gentle animal I've ever had.

Soon, any dog over 10 lbs will be considered "bad". Its the DAMN OWNERS. Not the animal. There are people out there breeding animals that should be shot for making these mutant dogs.

Pretty sweet how that site worked a good ad in before we see the clip. A whole 'nother story. I'm making odds, they were not pure breed Chows.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Okiewan said:
Its the DAMN OWNERS. Not the animal. There are people out there breeding animals that should be shot for making these mutant dogs.
If it's your 2-year old who is dead, does it really matter whose fault it was?

The "creation" of specific dog breeds happened several hundred years ago. Whether a pure breed, mutant, or mutt, they ALL belong to the same animal family. In that same animal family are wolves, coyotes, and foxes. And also Benji, the lovable family pet. And ALL breeds were created by man. Who specifically are you going to shoot?

Sure it's the dog owner's responsibility, but your kid was mauled to death. Think society would allow a public execution of the dog owner?

Everyone shakes their head, and chalks it up to yet another senseless tragedy. Give it a few weeks or months, and we'll read about another dead child, killed by a family pet. And we'll all just shake our heads, and mumble "irresponsible owners".

I don't have a solution, but with kids of my own, this could happen to me just as easily. And I'm sickened by it.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I used to work for a guy during the summers, when I was a kid. He had two big full blooded Chow-Chows, and a little mutt dog. The little mutt was a barker, and gave each end every person the feeling that he would chew their leg off...a mean little cuss.
Their owner told me to simply yell at the mutt and hold out my hand and he would stop.
Sure enough, the little mutt would instantly stop barking, drop his ears, and do a limbo walk over to me for some what seemed to be an appoliogetic gesture. He would let me pet and rub his belly...the whole nine yards. His bark was far worse than his bite..in fact I never saw him attempt to bite anyone, ever.
The owner also told me to NEVER, EVER, trust the chows. These animals were fabulous. They were fine specimins to say the least. And, I could be around them anytime the owner was, and I could also be around them without the owner after awhile. They got used to me, BUT no matter what, if I ever turned my back on them, they would both be on a direct path towards me, and only when I would turn and look them in the eye would they stop.
These dogs never barked. No warning at all. They were stealth attackers.
Their owner, my boss, saw this one day and he warned me that I was about to get chewed up....as I turned to see both of them coming right at me.
They never got me, but I knew from then on never to trust the dogs. These dogs were well taken care of and loved. Every precaution was made to contain them in their own space and there was never a problem. But I know for a fact, that if these beautiful dogs were to ever come in contact with stangers that didn't know how to control them, they would definately chew them up without the slightest warning.

The owner of these dogs was a kind and gentle man, as was his wife. They had all of their dogs trained well for simple commands and took pristine care of them all. Who is to blame for the crazy behavior of the Chows?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The top six attackers, of which the most difficult to trust being the chow & german shepard in my experiences in peoples back yards with them present as well as the shar pei's, al are classified as work breeds with very strong alpha tendancies. It is no coincidence that the alpha trait combined w/ powerful body mass makes for a great fighter, protector. Many breeds have a much weaker alpha tendancy, although all dogs carry the trait. Goldens are a perfect example of a dog that is a complete wuss when it comes to alpha traits. My beagle ran roughshod over the golden b/c he wouldn't assert himself in a aplha fashion-the breed has been engineered to do that through selective process. All of my goldens have been this way and there are many more breeds better suited to human interaction than the top six, not that the top six all don't have shining examples of well-socialized behavior Conversely, the protectors have been bred to carry a stronger alpha tendancy by many breeders, and the numbers are clear that their population (top six) is roughly 11% of all registerd breeds, which is very disproportionate for the number of attacks they represent. All that adds up to is a breed that can be deadly no matter how many precautions are taken in the raising of the pup. On a side note, a rot is one of the more docile top six...very trustable for me while I am working in the yard, they are just a hugely powerful dog and I think the selection process of picking a breeeder is paramount.

This relatively new breed to the US, presa canario, is a perfect example of a monster breed that deserves serious consideration for legislation. Most municipalities don't allow dangerous wild animals and it could be argued now that maybe we need to look at the same for certain breeds. Tough line to cross though, what breeds are good, what are bad? More responsiblity at the breeder level along w/ owner? I don't know, but the number of people ripped apart can't speak their feelings anymore (a pair of the presas mentioned above literally did that to a 33 year old woman in her apartment building ) and maybe it is time we spoke up.

I am totally against any more laws, I hate big gov't, but something has to be done.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Dang Smit-DOG sounds like you'd like all pets eliminated, lol.
I wish there were a way to track these animals back to the breeder, I'd guess many came from puppy farms and backyard b"breeders" out to make a quick buck. All the more reason to get your pup from a respected breeder who actually cares about temperament and bloodlines.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Okiewan said:
Dang Smit-DOG sounds like you'd like all pets eliminated, lol.
Not at all. My rant may have come across as pretty strong, but it's the same old story. And when kids are the innocent victims, it hits a raw nerve in me.

Knowing how easily and how often it happens, I have little tolerance of arrogant and/or ignorant dog owners who claim that their dogs won't attack unprovoked.

No real manageable solutions to offer; just call me paranoid and frustrated.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
Not at all. My rant may have come across as pretty strong, but it's the same old story. And when kids are the innocent victims, it hits a raw nerve in me.

Knowing how easily and how often it happens, I have little tolerance of arrogant and/or ignorant dog owners who claim that their dogs won't attack unprovoked.

No real manageable solutions to offer; just call me paranoid and frustrated.

I don't think you are being paranoid at all Smit-Dog, you have a real common sense concern, as do many people. This is a divisive issue, always will be. To one side, the solution can be overly reactive and knee-jerk, that is why we must use common sense...something that seems to be as rare as loam in SoCal. The other side will probably not see the solutions as fair, until it happens to one of them. Like I said, coming from a farm, we tend ot take of our own and deal w/ these things a little more...direct.

I've had a conversation or two w/ neighbors that have moved in. One had a big, bad-ass breed of a brute. It was ill-tempered, literally could climb the fence he was in and tried to nearly every time a small kid rode by or families were out walking. I stopped by, introduced myself, exchanged pleasantries and wanted to meet the dog. The owner didn't think it a good idea, so I let him know politely if his dog ever got past that fence and hurt ANY of my family, the dog was as good as dead. It seems some of the others had already had the same conversation and the dog was gone w/in a week.

Is this fair? Nope, but common sense says don't bring an animal like that of any kind around an area w/ plenty of kids and people. Nobody would ever call what happens to these kids/people fair. I think you are fine in your concern.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The stats.

How exactly are these animals identified when putting the stats together? From the victim's statement in the ER? Is there any mechanism in place to certify that the offending dog was actually of the breed stated? How many people know the difference between a pure breed GSD and a shepherd mix? There are SO many GSD looking dogs out there and a lot of people that don't know the difference. If it looks like GSD, it is one?

Until I see how the stats are put together, I'll take 'em with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom