P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
I'm still new to dirt biking and I've been trying to locate areas closer to me that I can go somewhat quickly and get some riding in during the week. With a wife & 2 kids I don't always have time to hit up Barstow, Hungry Valley, etc. Anyway, I saw these spots as I was driving along the 60 in Riverside. Are they rideable, and more importantly, are they legal?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...55516963454459.00044e39918d069725cb5&t=k&z=14

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...55516963454459.00044e39a09b251fcea7d&t=k&z=15

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
My guess is no. Unless an area is designated and posted for off- highway use then you are taking chances on getting a citation.

If it's private land, then no way.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
That's kind of what I figured. But if there are no "private land", "NO TRESPASSING", etc. signs then I'm good to go?

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Well no. Up here where I live in Northern LA county there are lots of spots like those you googled and they are not marked with signage, but you will still get chased off. If those spots were up here I might be able to lend some advice, but I'd say it is best to wait and see if any of our OC dwellers will chime in with some input.
Telling the law that you didn't see any signs posted will not get you very far.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
check and see if there is a webiste just for cal riders, every state seems to have them and normally can tell you where is legal and where isnt.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
sick 96 250 said:
check and see if there is a webiste just for cal riders, every state seems to have them and normally can tell you where is legal and where isnt.

Here is such a site with public lands. Private tracks are not shown.

http://www.employees.org/~calridng/home.html

I don't think those areas are 'legal' riding areas. If you are very lucky, you might be able to ride there hassle free (knock on wood).

Generally speaking, small areas like that near houses are either privately owned, or if they are public land they are considered greenbelt and for hiking, not for riding.

Lots of those kinds of areas used to be OK to ride in, but loud bikes and sensitive neighbors have usually spoiled the party.

sirk242

May 30, 2008
Right in that area is Milestone Ranch, MX park right off the 60fwy and its open till 9pm you can google it for directions, they have some nice beginner tracks. If you dont want to hit a track up, drive up the 15 a bit more and get off on cleghorn exit, park right there and drive up that OHV, theres alot of riding. You can actually ride all the way through to the lake with that trail, an even nicer ride if you go up one more exit from cleghorn park by the chevron, ride your bike across the street to the dirt road right next to the freeway, go past all the railroad construction(a ranger told me its legal to ride past, you just cant park in there anymore). And follow that trail in and theres tons of decent riding up that path. If you have a red sticker dont stop in the stageing areas for too long.

Riding in those areas you marked, you run the risk of a cop getting you when your putting your bike away and getting a ton of fat tickets. And maybe having land owners press charges (and they usually hate dirtbikers blazing trails on their land). The bureau of land management hires cops to go through those type of trails on weekends looking for riders if theres enough complaints. Doubt it would be cool to have a misdemeaner trespassing charge on your record, and if you got a second one after that who knows what they would do. Maybe an F? I wouldn't fuk with it, to save 15 min off your drive, just to ride some lame dusty trails behind a factory or dump.

Last edited:

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks guys for the helpful info. I guess I pretty much figured that those areas would be off limits, but I'm just so desperate for some close riding. I only have a 3 hour window on weekday mornings, while my youngest daughter is in Kindergarten. I've ridden up off of the 215 & Palm Dr., and it's OK but that's a good 1.5 hour drive round trip.
I've seen the Cleghorn exit before & heard that there is riding there. I'll try it one of these days. I'm not confident enough yet to try track riding but I will sometime this year. There are many tracks near enough to me.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
P-Funk said:
I've seen the Cleghorn exit before & heard that there is riding there. I'll try it one of these days.QUOTE]

If you get off of the 15 on the next exit at the Chevron station (Hwy 138) and go right it will take you to Lake Silverwood. Just past Lake Silverwood there is a staging area where you can legally park and miles and miles of legal green sticker trails. From there you can ride to Fawnskin or Big
Bear and farther. Stop at the Chevron station and buy a Adventure pass for the day. That pass gives you permission to park in the forest. You can also get the pass at the Ranger station on the way to Silverwood and they also have very good maps of the area showing all of the trails. It is a good idea to get one of these maps if you are unfamiliar with the area.

The areas you asked about are illegal and you will get a ticket if you ride there.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
you could always check into the Wildomar OHV area off hw74. Just take the I-5 to HW74 (San Juan Capistrano) and head east. It will be on the right hand side. I believe it's around 400 acres of trail riding.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
Ol'89r said:
If you get off of the 15 on the next exit at the Chevron station (Hwy 138) and go right it will take you to Lake Silverwood. Just past Lake Silverwood there is a staging area where you can legally park and miles and miles of legal green sticker trails. From there you can ride to Fawnskin or Big
Bear and farther. Stop at the Chevron station and buy a Adventure pass for the day. That pass gives you permission to park in the forest. You can also get the pass at the Ranger station on the way to Silverwood and they also have very good maps of the area showing all of the trails. It is a good idea to get one of these maps if you are unfamiliar with the area.

The areas you asked about are illegal and you will get a ticket if you ride there.

Thanks Ol'89r.

kdx200chick said:
you could always check into the Wildomar OHV area off hw74. Just take the I-5 to HW74 (San Juan Capistrano) and head east. It will be on the right hand side. I believe it's around 400 acres of trail riding.

How far out the 74 is Wildomar?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
P-Funk said:
How far out the 74 is Wildomar?

P-Funk.

Coming from OC the turn off is just before you start downhill before Lake Elsinore. If you drop over the hill and can see the lake, you went too far. Turn around and go back to the first cross street. It is a very small forest road that goes to the south. On the map it is the same road as the Main Divide road in the Cleveland national forest.

Once you get on the road to the south it starts out as a two lane road and narrows down to one lane just before it goes down into a canyon. Wildomar ohv is at the bottom of the canyon. It is several miles from hwy 74. Do a search on California off road vehicle parks and you should be able to find a map.

Wildomar is not my favorite place to ride. Very small and a few rutted, slippery sandstone trails. The entire area can be covered in less than an hour. IMO a very poor excuse for a green sticker funded cycle park. You will also have to buy an adventure pass to park there but at least it's a place to ride.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
Ol'89r said:
Here's another link to check.

www.ohv.parks.ca.gov

Thanks again, Ol'89r. I actually already had that page bookmarked. Ultimately I think Wildomar is further than some of the other places to the North & East of me, since I live in the Northeast corner of Orange county. I need to try out track riding since there are so many in close proximity.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
P-Funk said:
Ultimately I think Wildomar is further than some of the other places to the North & East of me, since I live in the Northeast corner of Orange county. I need to try out track riding since there are so many in close proximity.

P-Funk.

I sense you are starting to feel my frustration about the green sticker park issue. :bang:

This is why it is so important for ALL of us to become involved in the political process concerning our sport. :nod:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I believe the turn off is called Kilsner Trail from the 74. It's just past the cafe if you are going west from Elsinore. Then it's aout 9 miles on Kilsner until it drops you into the riding area.

The riding area that 89r spoke of at Silverwood is called Pilot Rock and is a super place to ride. Definately use a spark arrestor and take care of the traisl up there. You can ride for miles on all types of trails!

Top Bottom