mrpackrat

Jul 8, 2009
Hello, I just got one of these old dinos and I love the power, but I digress. Anyway I have put an 02 xr250 complete front end on it, it already had an aftermarket rear shock. Well what I was wanting to know-if there are any experts on these old 450 and 480 bikes. I have a 83 480 rolling chassis and I was wanting to know if the engine, exhaust and airbox will work from the 450 on the 480. I like the gas tank, seat, bolt on subframe, swingarm, rear wheel, chain adjusters, and the more modern rear fender of the 83 as opposed to the 450..I don't see why not if the centercases are the same-which I believe they are..probably just changed the bore from 81 450 to 82 480, and then went 5 speed in 83... Thanks in advance..

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You mean the vintage 450 smoker! The 02 xr front end is an improvement? I am pretty sure the 480 would be an easy clobber job, putting the 450 engine in it. Both of them would be better off, worth more money, by themselves, a lot more! I only take lights off dirt bikes, most need an extra coil. You mat have gotten more responses in the vintage bike forum. I would have been curious how close putting the 450 or 480 in the complete 02 xr frame?

mrpackrat

Jul 8, 2009
Yes it is not a diesel, if it was I would not have posted in the two stroke section....LOl, Yes the xr front end is an improvement-81 stock internals vs 02 modified, plus add front disc, and yes there is no comparison. I know I have only taken lights off too, but I was wanting to make this a woods bike and might need the stock little xr headlight assembly to work in case of darkness..

Top Bottom