How did Loretta Lynn get involved with amatuer motocross?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Whats the story behind this? How did a country music singer start holding the amatuer motocross championchips? Is she still involved?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Pretty sure I heard it was her husband that did it.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Didn't Dave Coombs (blackwater 100 fame) approach her/him about it???? At least I think he was part of the group that did.

Mully

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I think the whole story was in RacerX a few years ago. Big Dave Coombs was the guy that started it. As I remember it, the Coombs family was truckin' it home from Ponca City and they stayed at LL's RV park. Big Dave thought that LL's would be a good (better) place for a big Am National and so he.....

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Where were they held before it was at LL?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
It's been held at Loretta Lynn's ranch in Hurricane Mills, TN, for 23 years. I could be wrong, but it might have been held at Red Bud (Buchanan, MI) the last year before it moved to TN.

Loretta's ranch is a nice location in terms of camping and facilities (shower/bath houses, creek, pool, gameroom, pavillion, horseback riding, fishing, family fun, etc.) but the track is on a flat piece of ground - kind of uncharacteristic for a motocross national.

Check the moto mags in August-September for more background info as they always do nice LL spreads.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
there was Ponca City back in the day, the NMA amateur nationals.

That's about all I can remember . . .

Top Bottom