Revver

Feb 1, 2005
Sorry for the long post, here goes. After I rebuilt my top end( a first for me), cleaned my carb and changed the needle clip position(didn't touch the float height, it was my first time digging into a carb, no micrometer, little intimidating), I was ready for my first ride. When I turned on the fuel petcock, fuel started pouring out of the vent hoses until I guess the float needle settled, then no more leak. The bike ran real strong and I was beside myself about that, so off to the track I went. As the day went on, I noticed that the engine started to surge after I got off the throttle. I figure that my idle was set too high, or I had an air leak somewhere. My buddy got hurt and I took him to the hospital so I didn;t really get a chance to figure out the problem that day. Well today I tried to get the problem to show itself again so i could fix it before I rode again. When I got it started, the idle was really high, so i was going to fiddle with the idle screw. When I got down on the carb to adjust it, I saw that the AIR SCREW WAS GONE!! :ohmy: :yikes:
Now I only turned it 1.5 FULL turns out from seated so it shouldn't have been loose, and the spring was on it to keep it from backing out. How could it have come loose? I guess that the air screw came out when I was at the track which would cause the bike to develop the surge. Does that sound right? Needless to say, I pulled the subframe/airbox and carb to clean them. There was some dirt in the air passage from the hole where the air screw should have been. I didn't see any dirt or grit in the reed cage, but I'm sure that doesn't mean anything. What should I do at this point? :ugg: Thanks for your replies guys.

Top Bottom