How do I put the case back together?

gbruno21

Jun 12, 2010
'88 KDX 200 ... I have the bottom end of the engine case apart. I am trying to put the two sides back together. How do I get the crank bearings into the case? Do I need a special tool? Do I install the bolts and draw it together squeezing the bearings into place? I saw a video online where the guy froze the bearings and heated the case with a torch to get the bearings to drop into place. The bearings are still on the crank shaft. Please help ... :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
gbruno21 said:
'88 KDX 200 ... I saw a video online where the guy froze the bearings and heated the case with a torch to get the bearings to drop into place. The bearings are still on the crank shaft. Please help ... :bang:

That is a good method to use. Simply heat the cases with a large torch until you can sizzle a drop of water on them. DON'T OVERHEAT THEM, since aluminum melts at a very low temp. After the cases are heated, drop the crank complete with the bearing installed into the case. Then heat the other case and install it in the same manner. Do not force it. If the cases won't go completly together, take it back apart and do it again.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
um. you have it split, and you're not replacing the bearings?????

seems foolish....

Get new bearings. Heat the crank to remove the old bearings. Put the crank and bearings in the freezer. Heat the case halves in the oven, about 200 degrees, maybe 220, for 15 or 20 minutes. Drop the seals and bearings into the case halves. The frozen bearings will drop right in. Let everything come to room temp (1 - 2 hours), and heat the case halves again, with bearings installed. Now your frozen crank will slip right through the heated bearing races.

gbruno21

Jun 12, 2010
Got it!!! I stuck the crank shaft (with the bearings in tact) in the freezer for a few hours, heated one side of the case in the oven for 20 minutes and it dropped right in place, no problem. Thanks for the help guys!!!

I did not replace the bearings because they were fine. Brought it to a mechanic because the gears were locked up. Turned out to be the rotor. The magnets had broken loose. I put them back on with JB weld and now I am reassembling the engine. It ran great until the rotor problem, but at the time I did not know it was the rotor (apparently the mechanic did not know either until he had already split the case. Wanted to charge me $2,200 to replace almost everything. I chose to take it home in pieces and try to fix it myself. I hope I can do it. So far I have only spent $3.50 on new JB Weld. Wish me luck!!!

Thanks Again!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
there are much better 2 part epoxies to use than jb weld
it would have been pretty obvious to me when taking the engine apart what the problem was..... I would spread the word about that mechanic

Top Bottom