How do I verify an out of state VIN?

KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
I am about to buy a CR 250 and need to run the VIN to make sure there are no issues. The bike was originally purchased in Texas and I will be titling it in California.

Where do I go to verify the VIN?

Call someone in Texas?

Can I do this on the Internet?

Thanks

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Jump right in there 586, put that newfound knowledge to work!

KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
VIn verify

Verify if it was stolen and taken to another state.

Also I want to know if the person I am taking delivery from is the owner.

Basically I simply want to know how to run a MX bike VIN in Texas to find out who the owner is or if it has ever been reported stolen.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
KX2fitty said:
Verify if it was stolen and taken to another state.

Also I want to know if the person I am taking delivery from is the owner.

Basically I simply want to know how to run a MX bike VIN in Texas to find out who the owner is or if it has ever been reported stolen.

This is about the extent of my newfound knowledge on the subject. I would examine the VIN to see if it had the appearance of being altered. I would copy down the VIN and ask a law enforcement agency to run it through NCIC, which is the National Crime Information Center. If it has been stolen and reported, the VIN will be in that database.
With respect to ownership, I am not sure. I would contact American Honda for help. They should at least tell you which dealer received that bike. Whether that dealer will release sales information, I am not sure. I would also make dure the 10th. digit of the VIN matches the model year the seller says it is. Hope this helps.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Take the VIN to the local police department, and ask them to run a search for you. Or you could take the VIN to the DMV/MVA and have them do the same.

Hope this helps, Steve.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Send the vin to me with the year and I can run it monday at work. Will just get if it is stolen (at least reported) but not sure about ownership.
If Texas puts the registration on their records I could get it but if like in Wis where there is no dirtbike registration it will be a blank

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
snb73 said:
Take the VIN to the local police department, and ask them to run a search for you. Or you could take the VIN to the DMV/MVA and have them do the same.

Hope this helps, Steve.

The police department wil use the NCIC database that I mentioned above.

Top Bottom