How to detect a slightly tweaked triple clamp?

Hman

Apr 11, 2000
I think I may have tweaked my triple clamp, but can't actually find an irregularity. My front wheel points left of center. It's not one of those things where you can brace the wheel and jerk the bars to straighten- it comes back to this position.

I've tried to rule out a bent fork leg by rotating the tubes in the clamp 90 and 180 degrees- no change in wheel position. I've even swapped the fork legs and mounted the wheel backwards. Still points a little left.

Anybody ever experience anything like this? I haven't.

Anybody installed aftermarket triples and have a set of stockers for an '00 lying around that I could try?

UGH

H

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I tweaked my stockers a few years ago after an end-over-end crash down a hill that knocked me out cold. Like yours, my front wheel didn't track straight ahead. I took off the forks to examine them closely and couldn't see any damage. When I put them back in the triple clamps, after sliding each tube through the bottom clamp, they didn't match up exactly with the upper clamp. I could force them to go, but they were off a couple millimeters.

After that, I took off the triple clamps and placed them on a very flat surface. I figured that if they were bent, they wouldn't sit perfectly flat on the surface. Not sure how scientific that experiment was, but the upper clamp clearly did not lay flat on the surface. The lower clamp was a bit harder to tell because I hadn't removed the steering stem and couldn't lay down both sides on the flat surface, but it didn't seem right either. I did some more experimenting with a drafting-quality straight edge (could test it at more points than by laying the whole thing flat on a surface) and my suspicions were confirmed. The upper clamp was definitely bent; lower clamp I wasn't sure.

I installed an Applied upper clamp and the wheel tracked a lot straighter, but it was still off just a bit. I could have probably lived with it, but heck, it's only money - bought an Applied lower clamp and the wheel tracked perfectly straight.

One other thing to check is the front axle. My buddy bent his ('00 300EXC), so it is possible if you hit something just the right way. Should be pretty easy to check - roll it on a flat surface and see what happens.

I've been very happy with the Applied clamps. They seem to grip the fork tubes better and I rarely twist the forks in the clamps. At the same time I also switched to fat bars and a Scotts steering damper, so it all worked out for the better. Also, if you ever want to put on handguard clamps that mount to the triple clamps, the Applied clamps make it a lot easier.

Good luck!

Hman

Apr 11, 2000
Thanks, John. I already checked the axle, and it's okay. I haven't priced clamps yet, but I know I'm not going to like it. Just out of curiousity, how much were your Applieds?

I'm still wondering how I could have bent the clamps and not the fork.

H

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I got a pretty good deal on the clamps, directly from Applied, back when TAG handlebars first came to the U.S. and Applied was promoting them with a package deal. Just guessing, but some of the mail order shops are probably $150 per clamp.

I wondered the same thing - how can you bend the clamps but not the forks. The answer is, the stock clamps just aren't that strong. They're cast, instead of billet aluminum like most of the aftermarket clamps. Ditto for the wheels - I broke off a piece of the stock rear hub and it was a really grainy metal, probably the same stuff used in the triple clamps.

Hman

Apr 11, 2000
Lower clamp

After taking everyting apart, reassembling according to owners manual directions, changing things around and still not getting the problem fixed, I took off the clamps and set them on a glass-level surface. The top clamp was fine, but sure enough, the bottom one wiggles. It really wasn't and isn't visible to the naked eye, but once on a flat plane, it's very evident.

I think I found the problem, now to find the cure. I need to find a new lower.

Thanks for your help.

H

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i ahd a pretty bad get-off the other day, and now my front wheel travels to the left too, i haven't checked the forks yet to see if they are straight in the triples, i just hope i don't have the same problem yall did.

Hman

Apr 11, 2000
An update

It was indeed the lower clamp. I have a friend who has a reputation for loading up his KTM with aftermarket goodies, and he had a stock lower hanging in his garage. I mounted it up, and sure enough, my wheel now points straight.

Thank goodness the fork tubes are made of stout stuff and weren't bent as well.

Thanks Ken.

H

the mayor

Feb 25, 2002
One other thing to check: the steering stem.
I crashed hard a week ago and had the same scenario...front wheel a bit off center. Even after loosening everything and straightening..it would go off center during the ride.
I pulled the bottom clamp and pressed out the steerer and checked to see if it was straight, which it was. I then pressed it back in and everything is pretty straight...just a tiny bit off center.
But...I guess I could skip a few utility bill payments and get some new triple clamps ;^)

Top Bottom