How to get rid of air in the brake system?

blic

Jan 11, 2000
Hi!

I´ve got air caught in my front brake system.
How do I get this out?

Planning to ride tonight so please respond quickly!

Thanks!

(bike is a XR650)

Kornholio

Jul 11, 2001
Take the cover off your master cylinder. Check the level of luid. If it is at the max then you will have to remove some. This method works a treat. Get a syringe, from a vet supllys or pharamcy. Fill the syringe with fresh brake fluid, flick the syringe to remove any air bubbles, attach the syringe to the bleed nipple on the caliper using a length of clean plastic tubing. Crack open the bleed nipple whilst forcing the brake fluid through from the syringe, keep an eye on the level of fluid in the master cylinder, make sure you put enough fluid through to clear out all of the old fluid and air bubbles by using a syringe with a capacity larger than that of your brake system. (I'm not sure how much for an XR)

Conventinal methods of bleeding are difficult on bikes 'cos the air gets caught in bends in the brake line.

I have read on here about a vacumn pump system that you can get, but haven't seen them in the uk so I am not really sure what these are.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Since you were wanting to ride tonight I am probably too late but I've never had any issues whatsoever with conventional bleeding methods. Maybe I've just been lucky with the bikes I've been around and the way the hoses are routed. With the bleeder closed, pump up the brakes, crack the bleeder (very slowly), close the bleeder and repeat. Be very sure to never let the master cylinder run low. On some cars I used to do this but attach a tube to the bleeder, drop it into a container with brake fluid in it (line filled with brake fluid) and that way you'd never suck air back into the system. It'd only suck brake fluid back. If you have a problem doing this you can try tapping the brake line with something, remove the caliper and let it hang straight etc. I've never tried back bleeding with a syringe or a mityvac as it's always been very hassle free for me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom