How to make a bike more woods/trails freindly?

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Lookng at 98' - 01' CR125's. What I am really wanting to know is how to make them a little more trail friendly. I like power a little more on the bottom end then the top. Is there a way to bring the powerband down in the RPM range?? Pipes, reeds....anything? I am sure the ports can be messed with but I am sure thats pricey. Just name the easy stuff, want to keep it under $500.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Hey brandon H. You may consider a v-force reed kit, a fly wheel weight, & lowering the final drive gearing.(smaller counter shaft or larger wheel sprocket.) Well pal that's my two cents, Good luck, Porkchop...

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
In addition to Porkchop's suggestions, if you don't have it already, I suggest a quiet silencer with a spark arrestor. Yeah, it isn't a power adder but definately makes the bike more woods/trail "friendly".

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Soften up you suspension too. A re-valve would be optimal but just backing off on the compression and lowering the oil height will help. Play with it until it works best for the conditions you ride in.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Get some short, hi-rise handlebars. 28 to 29 inches length, with Enduro Engineering bark busters. That, coupled with the light weight of the 125 should make the turning work much better. On the last woods ride, I got my butt kicked: Hit about seventy saplings, and they took me down several times. After it was over, someone pointed out that the trail was just 32 inches wide in places, and that my bars with barkbusters were 36 inches wide.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Provided the bottom end is in good shape... If it were my $500 I'd look in to letting Eric Gorr do about $500 worth of bore / port work and then save up another $100 for a Steahly flywheel weight. Then save again for a good skid plate, then save again for a VForce setup. Birthdays, Christams and the like are a good time to add to the bike as well. No need to do it all at once but starting with a good solid fresh engine is your best bet.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I am looking into it, it seems as soon as I find the bike it gets sold. I def want a aluminum frame CR. Thinking around 1998-2001 CR125/250.

Here is the thing, the bikes in my sig are all projects bikes. But I am tired of wrenching, I want to ride again bad!!! I am willing to give up my project bikes for cheap and add cash to just get a good running bike.

I found a nice 1998 CR250, for a decent price. I am just worried, because I have never rode a 250 before. I am about 5-10, I weight 177 pounds. I am not a very strong guy. Sometimes just pushing my KX125 around wears me out ;) . I have no idea what a 250 feels like power or weight wise, and I am worried it might be too much for me. Is there any ways to tame them down?? Make them a little more bottom end then top end power?? I just don't know if I should look at only 125's, or 250's too, because I am having a hard time finding 125's

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
If you are really wanting a "woods" bike why look at MX bikes? Check out a '89+ KDX. You can find them in pretty decent shape for reasonable prices.

Eh, just an idea!

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Thought about KDX's and XR's, but it will be a combo of everything that makes me want a MX bike more. There is a BIG sandpit at Croom where I ride, then the res is trails, but there is also the Dade City motocross track 3 miles away. So I want to do it all. :nod:

Top Bottom