How to Set Timing On A Husqvarna 1980??

80Husky

Dec 22, 2001
Help Please!! I don't have a manual for my 1980 Husqvarna 250 OR and want to set the timing. Do I back off the piston 2.8mm from top dead center? Whats the best way to do it....put a screwdriver or other pin through the flywheel hole and seat it into the slot in the stator and then move the flywheel with the backing plate loose to 2.8mm back and then take the flywheel off and tighten the backing plate? Is this correct?

XC250

Mar 6, 2002
I always used a dial indicator and a 2mm timing pin to time my 80 390CR. I have a dial indicator with a sparkplug adapter on it that threads into the sparkplug hole. I would insert the indicator, rotate the flywheel watching the indicator to get to TDC, zero out the indicator, then back it off 1.8mm BTC and insert the timing pin.
If it didn't line up, I removed the flywheel and adjusted the motoplat, put the flywheel back on (no nut) and check it again.
Not sure what the timing is on the 250, but the 1980 390CR/OR was 1.8 BTC, this was the 2080 motor.

Steve :cool:

80Husky

Dec 22, 2001
Steve

Thanks for the reply....I don't understand the pin deal. Does the pin go in through the flywheel hole into the to the slot of the motoplat which touches the loose backing plate (timing plate) then you rotate to 1.8 BTC and take the flywheel off remove the motoplat tighten the backing plate then put the motoplat on then put the flywheel on????

XC250

Mar 6, 2002
You should only have two pieces, The flywheel and the motoplat. The motoplat and backing plate are one piece. The motoplat or stator has three slotted holes so it can rotate to adjust the timing.
The flywheel only fits on one way with the keyway on the crankshaft.

Remove the flywheel nut (lefthand threads) and remove the flywheel.
Place the flywheel on the crankshaft with the keyway in place. Don't put the nut on because you will have to take on and off the flywheel until things are adjusted.

You should have a 2mm hole on the flywheel and a 2mm hole on the motoplat backing plate.
I use to turn the flywheel clockwise until I got to TDC, then turn it counterclockwise 1.8 mm and insert the 2mm timing pin. The timing pin should go through both the flywheel and the motoplat.
If the pin only goes throught the flywheel and hits the backing plate, the motoplat needs to be moved one way or the other to align with the flywheel.
Thats why I always used a dial indicator

Hope this helps. If you still need help email me.

Top Bottom