KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Finally recieved my Hydro Jak that has been back ordered since forever.

The front panel is redesigned from previous model - looks a little stronger via strategic ribbing. The rear bulges out to accomodate the 40oz drink system which mounts inside the CP. Very slick.

The "revolutionary body wrap rib shield system" is well done, attaching to the rear panel with velcro straps it incorporates rib shields, similar to the ones on the THOR Zoom, which are attached to a double strap like a kidney belt. This belt allows the front panel to rest on the rib protectors, eliminating the pressure point that breaks ribs in a frontal ground assault such as a highside.

It retains the suspended shoulder and has foam like the Fox airframe above the suspension netting.

Sizing remains the same and the XL is good for those of us who will never see 200lb again.

I am, as always, disappointed in the arm protection - barely adequate. Will anyone ever replicate the Hallman Mach 5 arm and elbow guards?

Overall a good product.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Thanks for the review i've been thinking about getting one!! In fact this protector was the reason i made the hrp gear thread. I haven't seen one up close...i too was wondering about the arm protection. How are the bicep guards attatched?? Would it be possible to use a better gaurd from another company in it's place??

Jay D

May 22, 2001
to attach the bicep guards you just snap them in place. If you look at one you will see what I am talking about. I had to use a hammer and a round driver to set them in because they sure were not easy to snap.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
As Jay D said the arm guards just snap on. What do you know that is better?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Glad to see the review. I'd about given up on them getting one built! Since the drink system is only 40oz, is it possible to shoe-horn a 70oz bladder in it's place? Failing that, do you think the bulge on the back is big enough that it would interfere with wearing an external drink system over it in the normal way?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I will be using an external drink system in addition to the 40oz. Not sure if another bladder could replace what's there. I'll screw around with it tonight and post a reply then.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I think another, larger drink system could be used to replace the 40oz one without too much discomfort. Couldn't find one to try so YMMV.

I had no problem (in the garage) with wearing my other drink system over the top of the CP.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
As Jay D said the arm guards just snap on. What do you know that is better?

The below is stated having only seen the arm protectors for a reg. flak jak at a local shop, not sure if it's the same piece on yours.......

The moose cp (m1 i think) has huge bicep protectors. They are almost too big for my puny arms :(. Almost bought that protector today. I've also seen arm protectors at the local shop that could be bought as an accessory to an existing cp. I can't remember the brand but it was either a fox, thor or answer. They looked about right. If it was simple enough you could snap'em on!

One more thing. I tried on the moose today and noticed that it fit snug to the body ( it was the right size). I tried an hrp flak jak and noticed that it was suspended away fron the body for i would assume, ventilation and hit protection. But i was wondering if that might be a problem if you wanted to ride with a jacket in cooler or down right cold weather. Got any input on that angle bird???

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Re mark ably enough I just happen to have a Moose CP that the HRP is replacing so , in the interests of scientific research ( and a desire to find an excuse to not onerous tasks) I ripped the arms off and tried to fit both pieces.

The older system is similar to the CP - plastic with padding on the edges. It mounts on the edge of the shoulder part rather than the inboard, center that the newer one mounts on. I couldn't get them to work simultaneously without interference. Ideally I would like a combination of both. The newer arm piece offers pretty good roost protection for the bicep but lacks protection on the side. I think the next step is to trim the new pieces and zip tie them to the old ones which I will mount by the strap to the shoulder piece or alternatively sew the staps together.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom