Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Ok guys, I've got a Husky 50 Sr, 2001. It is in really good shape. But what would be a fair asking price for it? I have not seen any other 50's in my paper for sale, to compare it with. And the cycle trader doesn't have any up either. So what would you guys say is a fair asking price? The bike is tight everywhere, and very clean.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
well despite what kelle blue book says a guy here just sold his 01 Jr for $1800 and that was after a whole year of racing. the bike was very clean though. it sold in less than 3 weeks. I guess it really depends on your market up there. If bikes go fast you might get more. If it were for sale around here for $1200 I would buy it just to resell it.
Jason

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I don't know. Around here there are only two dealers that sell Mini's. KTM and one place that sells Huskies. They are hard to find and riding is getting very popular. They are selling the KTM JR and Senior for $3000 OTD. The Husyky Jr is $2400 OTD. Like I said. It really depends on your local market. I drove to the Bay area to buy my sons Cobra because I saved enough money to justify 20 hours of driving.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Not exactly the same as the top end husky. The Adventure is the bottome end bike. The boy junior is like the jr adventure. The Husky Jr is like the pro junior and the Husky Sr is like the Pro SR of 2000 ie Air cooled. Not sure about the Sr's but the Husky Jr was going for $2200 OTD door here I think MSRP was $1999 plus dealer crud. The adventure is $1498 plus dealer fee's here. The adventure is more of a learner play bike. The SR is for a 7-8yrs racer.

Jason

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
funny how things change, in 98, my son raced the then ktmsr(now sr adventure) in the 7-8 class(he was 6) and beat Polini's that were liquid cooled, cobra's that had "all that"...and now, just a few years later, parents call the bike a LEARNER bike........and figure that they have to spend the big bucks on the high dollar bikes.....I stand corrected on the husky.......i do remember seeing them last winter in the local arena cross and then being more like the new liquid cooled bikes. I may get bashed on here but if there are any parents out there starting racing PLEASE dont waste your money on a hopped up 50.........unless you actually think winnign a 50cc national is going to make your kid a superstar, stick with the basics, save your money and stop listening to the pee wee dad next to you showing of his great 4000 dollar 50, and just be patient and teach your kid how to ride correctly.......we have run stock everything on all of our bikes forever, and a correctly tuned kx65 will pull on a hopped up 80 with an unskilled rider anytime.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by chillywillyt
funny how things change, in 98, my son raced the then ktmsr(now sr adventure) in the 7-8 class(he was 6) and beat Polini's that were liquid cooled, cobra's that had "all that"...and now, just a few years later, parents call the bike a LEARNER bike........and figure that they have to spend the big bucks on the high dollar bikes.....I stand corrected on the husky.......i do remember seeing them last winter in the local arena cross and then being more like the new liquid cooled bikes. I may get bashed on here but if there are any parents out there starting racing PLEASE dont waste your money on a hopped up 50.........unless you actually think winnign a 50cc national is going to make your kid a superstar, stick with the basics, save your money and stop listening to the pee wee dad next to you showing of his great 4000 dollar 50, and just be patient and teach your kid how to ride correctly.......we have run stock everything on all of our bikes forever, and a correctly tuned kx65 will pull on a hopped up 80 with an unskilled rider anytime.

Won't get bashed from me. My son runs a 99CM He placed 26 at the World Mini's on it. It was the only air cooled Cobra in the finals. We have recently stepped up to a LC 02CM only for Ponca. Not until he started beating the kid that placed 2nd at the Mini's.
I started him off on a 97 Pro SR and when I thought he was ready purchased a cobra. I noticed an instant improvment. I think mostly due to the better suspension.
I do think there is an advantage to the priceyer bikes. Your kid will have to max out their current bike though. If you put a fast kid on an adventure and then put him on the current model LC SR then he WILL be faster. 9hp VS 12.2hp.
My 5yr old daughter just started racing. She inherited her brothers 99CM. She isn't competative yet and we won't spend the $$$ on a new bike until if/when she does get competative. She can have loads of fun riding the "old" CM.

As far as what should the originator of this thread get. Probably the best 99 or 2000 KTM or Cobra he could find. I have seen 2000 CM's for sale in nice shape for $1200 YOu can't really go wrong with that for that price. Great bike to learn on and if the kid gets fast then upgrade.
Jason

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by Jasle

As far as what should the originator of this thread get. Probably the best 99 or 2000 KTM or Cobra he could find. I have seen 2000 CM's for sale in nice shape for $1200 YOu can't really go wrong with that for that price. Great bike to learn on and if the kid gets fast then upgrade.
Jason

My son is to big for the 50cc bikes. He's 7 years old at 4'7, 85lbs. He can ride his Husky fairly well. But he is wanting to get out of the sport (for only awhile I hope). But if he wasn't, I would be geeting him a JR 80, so he could learn how to shift.

Top Bottom