I decided to bite the bullet

Discussion in 'General & Off-Topic Discussions' started by mideastrider, Jan 29, 2012.

1. mideastrider

mideastrider Subscriber

I finally decided to go ahead and get my son a new 2012 CRF450r. Hare scrambles are starting back up and its time to race. He hasn't rode since November when his 08 let go. Money is tight but he has a part time job and will help pay for most of it and all the winnings (if any) will go toward it.
    Installed hand-guards last night. Will get some numbers and other goodies on the way tomorrow. Hope to get the suspension done this week and should be good to go.
    Picked it yesterday.

Attached Files:

2. BSWIFT

BSWIFT Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator N. Texas SP

Looks nice. Need a ride report!
  3. mideastrider

mideastrider Subscriber

The engine runs strong. Mid to top end feels about the same as the 2008 crf450r. Off idle throttle response is impressive. Bottom end up to mid-range pulls stronger the the 08. No bogging, even if a gear hi. Feels much lighter than the 08 it feels light like a 2-stroke. It likes to be kicked twice to fire up and it don't like immediate throttle not a good combination for a hare scramble but maybe we can work that out. Springs and valving a little harsh for a 160 pound-er in the woods. That's been taken care of. Traction is phenomenal and it turns great. It seems to ride a little higher than the old bike but he thinks he likes that better. Haven't had in a actual race yet but some timed test suggest it may be good for 90 minutes on fuel but that might be a stretch. Hope to have oversize fuel tank with a quick fill in a few weeks. I miss the sight-glass for checking the oil, it has a dipstick. Can't decide what to do with the gearing I had the 08 geared down a little but this one has good snap and pulls the stock gear well. Planning to race this weekend that will tell the tale.

Attached Files:

4. High Lord Gomer

High Lord Gomer Poked with Sticks

Very cool!

But...blue handguards? Oh, the shame! :p
  5. mideastrider

mideastrider Subscriber

I know, I know. They where freebees