CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Thanks to the suggestion of canyncarvr and JohnKDX220 I now have a zerk fitting installed on my KDX for head bearing lubrication.

A friend and I were replacing our head bearings and races today (my KDX and his YZ) and he commented what a pain the job was. I mentioned to him that there was a recent discussion on this subject suggesting adding a zerk fitting to the head area. He said “well I happen to have a few zerk fittings sitting around” and in less than 5 minutes we both had them installed in our bikes. Tomorrow we’ll get some 1¼” ID PVC to fill the void and we'll be ready to put ‘em back together.

Thanks for the timely suggestion.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
What size zerks do you recommend? I found this site has stainless fittings in most sizes: http://www.fittingsandadapters.com/greaszerfits.html

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I think the one we used was 1/8 npt. It was stainless.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
You can fill the void with the PVC but for the price of grease it'll save you, it's really not necessary. If you do though, make sure there are no filings hanging off of it and that it doesn't sit somewhere where it'll rub ie: against the bearing on the bottom. This mod will save you a pain in the futue though. I'm a firm believer in zerks!

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Yeah... if you completely fill that tube with grease, be prepared to have a nice mess all over your bike and yourself once it warms up! The PVC is a very very good idea! MHO...

Top Bottom