dphil

Apr 22, 2009
Just purchased a new 2006 kdx 200 for my son. He has never ridden before but at fifteen and 6 foot fits the bike well. Is there a way to de tune the bike for a period until he gets comfortable riding. I have ridden dirt bikes as a kid and this one has tremendous low end torque that easily lifts the front wheel. I considered downsizing the rear sprocket but was curious about other modifications that may have worked. Appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks, Phil.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
dphil said:
this one has tremendous low end torque that easily lifts the front wheel.
Are you sure we're talking about a KDX200?? A Kawasaki KDX200??

Hmmmm...detune a KDX200.....you might try putting a plastic rod (cut to about 15mm in length) inside the carb above the slide. This would only allow slightly more than 1/2 throttle opening.
That should keep the front wheel down.
:cool:

Mud

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
LMAO- a throttle stop probably is the best way. If you make the rear sprocket smaller, you'll be increasing the top speed (which obviously comes with it's own set of dangers).

How about a strip of duct tape over the intake snorkle? Make it a 'restrictor plate' bike...

dphil

Apr 22, 2009
Appreciate the suggestions. A throttle stop seems like a simple solution. Can this be found at the local dealer or is there an online source? Thanks, phil

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
A throttle stop or intake restrictor are both good ideas , just remember to re-jet accordingly or the bike will run terribly rich. Their too rich to begin with.

Have Fun ,, A great bike that will last him for years.
My 14 year old fits his perfect and is learning respect for a very responsive trail bike.
Thats why I sold his CRF230 as it was OK but as with most four-strokes makes you a lazy rider

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I'm 16 130 pounds and my KDX 200 is just perfect for me.... I think leaving it as is will help him learn throttle control.

just my 2 cents

Top Bottom