I'd like to say thanks to the Digi Cam Gurus!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Thanks for puttiing me $1100 (w/ accessories) in the hole. LOL
After seeing the bad-ass pics some of you have posted, I could no longer be left out. :)

Long story short...The wife has always wanted a "nice" camera for taking nice pics of the kids and such. She got a pretty nice Mothers Day gift this past weekend. :) http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/rebelxt.html

I really love the 20 and 30D's, but DAYUM my wallet ain't that deep. It's the "little brother" to the 20D.

Bottom line...the wife loves it and is already wanting to accessorize some more. LOL Will have to post pics soon...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Cool.. the XT is a nice camera. Enjoy!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Nothing wrong with the XT, it's a very nice and capable camera. I was going to buy one a few weeks back for a second body/backup but found a lightly used 20D instead.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Thanks guys. :)

Quick question for ya... My wife is already looking for a zoom lense to get close(r) up pics. The ones that'll zoom into the 300mm range. I've seen some on that auction site brand new for like $150ish range. My question is; Are the off brands of lenses any good, or should I try and stick with a Canon lense? Needless to say, $400-$500 just for a Canon lense is a tad pricey to me but I don't want to sacrifice quality just to save $$. ie... I now have a nice camera and don't want to ruin it by putting junk after market parts on it. LOL Any feedback is appreciated. :cool:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Here ya go .. nice lens, & reasonable $:
No-name, knock off lenses are a serious waste of money, but there are a couple good companies that offer a LOT of bang for the buck. (Sigma, Tamron & Tokina). This is a nice "carry around" lens, goes from 28mm to 300mm. Not too big or heavy.

sg28300f35d.jpg

I've bought 2 Sigma lenses from these guys, good service, best prices out there on Sigma.

http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;...2E3+DG+Macro+for+Canon+AF+=28SG28300F35DCA=29

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll second the Sigma recommendation. I have a macro, and a wide angle from them . Both have been taking great pictures in spite of me. :).

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Another aspect of this purchase is what does she plan to shoot with this zoom lens? The lens Okie linked to get's high marks for an all purpose carry around lens, but it would not be my choice for a sports lens. I've got a guy local to me looking to sell a Canon 75-300 USM lens for $150 CDN. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=169269&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

If that's of interest I can try to work him a little on price and ship it down to you.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Chili, is that a Canon lense? It says "Ultrasonic" on it when you enlarge the pic. $189 is a helluva good price if it is a bonafied Canon. I think Okie nailed it with the lense he posted. That's a fair price, looks like it'll do what the wife wants (no she's not a sports photographer), and it's not a rocket launcher sized lense. The range of 28-300mm is nice too. Could almost get away w/o even bringing along the 18-55mm that came with the camera. We've got two graduations and a wedding to go to in the next couple of months so that's the sort of "action" she'll be shooting. :) Other than that, it'll be the elementary school plays and toddlers running in the park kind of pictures. :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll relay the info to the wife. You should've seen the look I got when I told her I was gonna checkout a dirtbike website to find out what a good zoom lense would be for her to get. LOL

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Green Horn said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll relay the info to the wife. You should've seen the look I got when I told her I was gonna checkout a dirtbike website to find out what a good zoom lense would be for her to get. LOL

Does she think we chew on our knuckles when we are not riding?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Tony Eeds said:
Does she think we chew on our knuckles when we are not riding?

Yeah, I guess I need to explain to her that some of you are more civilized than her husband. :laugh:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Chili said:
Yes Greenie that is a Canon lens.

Hmm. That is damn good price. Decisions...decisons.

I think I'll just show the wife this thread and let her decide.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Sigma 10-20mm lens in action last night.

Attachments

• 0533-Copy_DRN_86.jpg
    0533-Copy_DRN_86.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 73

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Okiewan said:
Keep in mind... Canon does make some low-end lenses ...
That's kind of why I questioned the $189 price tag. Figured there was more to it. And no, having a Canon branded lense isn't as important as knowing I got a decent quality lense for a decent price.

That's a cool pic, Rich. I already told the wife she needs to hurry up and learn how to use the shutter speed adjustments so she can take some cool night time photos. :) Her camera doesn't even have as many features as the 20D yet there's TONS of things that she/ we are still reading/ learning how to use on it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
In many ways the lens is the most important part of the camera. Software and shutter hesitation are the only real aspects that divide the "enthusiast" and the "quasi-pro" cameras. Research your lens selections and you cannot go wrong.

Here are three I have taken over the last week.

The first is shot with my 17-85mm zoom.
The second with my 300mm f4 (my grandson check out the "underclothes" of the girl beside him during "graduation". i was sooooo proud that it brought a tear to my eye. ;)
The third with my 17-85mm zoom with autofocus and IS off.

All are shot with an ASA (ISO) of 1600, so there will be noise if I blow them up too large. I did shoot a RAW of all the sun sets. All were hand held.

Attachments

• IMG_0960-lr.JPG
    IMG_0960-lr.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1049-lr.JPG
    IMG_1049-lr.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1120-lr.JPG
    IMG_1120-lr.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 66

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tony Eeds said:
In many ways the lens is the most important part of the camera. Software and shutter hesitation are the only real aspects that divide the "enthusiast" and the "quasi-pro" cameras. Research your lens selections and you cannot go wrong.

A good lens , a solid tripod (if you are a Shaky Jake like me :) ) , but most of all the right person behind the viewfinder can make any camera work magic. :cool:

I've seen an lot of really "technically correct" but aesthetically horrid pictures posted on photo sites that were shot with $5000 bodies and $1500 lenses. I think it's a lot like bikes, the equipment is so good that 95% of the time the operator is usually the weak spot.

It certainly is in MY case with a bike or a camera. ;)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
I've seen an lot of really "technically correct" but aesthetically horrid pictures posted on photo sites that were shot with $5000 bodies and $1500 lenses. I think it's a lot like bikes, the equipment is so good that 95% of the time the operator is usually the weak spot.

So true. I used to love seeing the results pros could get with a Brownie Box Camera back in the days before time.

I still have a long way to go to learn about the "eye". Digital has really helped me in that respect, because, in a way, shots are free. I can shoot to my hearts content and erase what doesn't work. That was the case at the races on Saturday. I erased at least 60% of all the photos before even heading home. It was fun to work on my technique with a subject that took such a predictable line.

I really need to get a copy of CS2 and start working with RAW. The digital darkroom is where the "real" magic is.

I'm guessing cameras (and wood working equipment) will replace Harleys as the old farts get older. There was a group of the dark sox, loafers and plaid shorts crowd at Arches National Park taking photos at sunset when we were there. They were lined up down one small piece of road all taking photos of the same two objects. They missed the photo I took, because they were still on the top of the plateau. They also missed the tremendous opportunities to photograph other great spots that were not already on postcards.

A lot of good photography is still the "luck" of being in a good spot at the right time.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
A good lens , a solid tripod (if you are a Shaky Jake like me :) ) , but most of all the right person behind the viewfinder can make any camera work magic. :cool:

I thought it was just like dirtbikes where in as long as you have all the cool aftermarket parts you're the fastest guy around. :laugh:

Yeah the other thing the wife is talking about doing is signing up for some photography classes at the local community college. Her learning some techniques would be worth it. This is something she's wanted to get into for a long time, so it's pretty cool to see her so excited about a hobby. (Dirtbiking just ain't never gonna be her thing. LOL)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
XRpredator said:
I'm more like Earthquake Jake

Pred, you magnificent bastage! I knew this thread could not be complete unless you chimed in. :cool:

Ok, so I just showed the wife this thread and she pretty much asked which one of us was gonna place the order on the Sigma lense. LOL The funnier part, is that earlier tonight I was telling her that I wanted to pick up a few more camping supplies (we're going camping this weekend) and she gave me the "Uh, well we need to watch how much we spend." line. Then I show her this thread and she's all gung-ho for a new lense. LOL Funny how watching the $$ is relative to who wants what. :laugh:

[Edit] She even wants to pay for 2 day shipping so it'll be here in time.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Greenie - If you are going to pay 2 day shipping charges check the pricing at www.bhphoto.com or www.centralcamera.com and compare them with www.sigma4less.com I've found that while the lens pricing is good at sigma4less the shipping is usually high enough that it's often times cheaper to go with an older established place like B&H or Central . Just something to consider if you are watching the $$. ;)

I've had great luck with Central & BH in the past.

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
BH is great. I have got two cameras and a lens from them.

They will send you a really thick paper catalog to entice you to buy, once you are on their list. :nod:

Top Bottom