ignition timing advance vs retard ?

86kxrider

Jul 9, 2006
timing question

i have a 86 kx 125 there are three timeing marks one to advance one for standard and one to retard for different track conditions my question is what are these track conditions and what performance gains would i get from advanceing or retarding my timeing

86kxrider

Jul 9, 2006
i was thinking about experimenting with my timing a little what performance gains what i get from advanceing or retarding my timing my bike has timing marks for each

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Timing adjustment shouldn't be something that needs to vary based on the track!

For any given engine RPM there will be a timing setting that provides the greatest amount of power. As the engine RPM increases, the spark has to come earlier to give the fuel time to burn. At lower RPM it needs to come later so that the piston isn't still coming up when the burn is trying to push it back down.

Ideally there will be an advance mechanism that automatically advances the timing for you as the RPM changes.

Unless your situation is different than everyone elses's, your best bet is to set the timing where the factory suggests it. Examples of a different situation would be running a different fuel, such as alcohol which burns slower, or you have really tricked out the motor to run at much higher RPMs.

Setting the timing late will mainly just reduce power. Setting the timing too early can make the engine hard to start and really hurt the bottom end. While you might see a small improvment at the very high RPMs you would run the risk of melting your piston during a run of WOT at mid range.

Top Bottom