bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
The weather in Illinois has been glorious lately and it looks to continue. It is looking 'perfect' for next Sunday's LEAF RIVER DUAL SPORT RIDE. This will be a great opportunity to shake off the winter cabin fever.

The ride is a dirt version of a 'poker run' that is run on many of the same trails that a competition enduro normally takes place. Get your buddies and go have some fun. Ride in a group. Help each other, laugh at each other.

More info at www.forestcityriders.com

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Wow...no responses from anyone. Shocking...this will be a 'made for a KDX event'. I'll video some of this to let you know what you missed.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Oh, I'm interested. However, I live in AZ :bang: and I hate certain laws in Illinois. Don't ask me, it gets political.

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Which one? .08 Blood Alchohol content? Must have 7 figure income to buy a senate seat? Governors required to serve time in prison after term?

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Firearm laws. I have my AZ CCW permit and I drive to Indianapolis every summer. Every state I drive through recognizes and honors it except for Illinois.

Out of state plates make you even more of a target for criminals so Illinois is one state I drive straight through without stopping. Fuel up, and eat at Steak & Shake in St. Louis, MI, and I don't stop again until Terre Haute, IN! I will never spend one penny in that state...ever!

Sorry, I start rambling when I think of things that tick me off!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, well think how safe you would be broken down in a bad Chicago neighborhood... concealed carry is effectively outlawed, so there is no safer place on the planet, right? ;)

Sounds like a good ride! The timing is great for me right now... and if I was going to trailer the KDX somewhere, I'd probably want to be going south, not north...

Good idea though, thanks for trying!

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Conditions were ideal today and this ride was really enjoyable. Tight trails littered with logs to clear, wide open untilled corn and wheat fields to go 6th gear wide open, friendly land owners cheering the riders on with riders eagerly returning the cheers, no dust, ...this ride had a wide array of challenges for riders. What a blast. I'll try to get my video linked up soon.

mechanos

Jun 20, 2009
I got dusted by 4 guys on big bore KTM's in an open field. The KDX didn't stand a chance! Other than that great ride. I have to admit, the second lap wasn't as enjoyable as the first. Total miles 69.2.

sorry I didn't post earlier, but we had intended on going to Zwingle, IA for the Enduro, but decided at the last minute to do Spring valley. Oh, and by the way, I made it through the hole day without needing a gun!

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
mechanos said:
Oh, and by the way, I made it through the hole day without needing a gun!
Ha, funny.

For the record, it isn't while racing I like to have protection on me. It is all the other times. You know, like going to the gas station, especially the gas stations with the bathrooms located outside and around the side of the building, going in and out of a hotel at night, etc., etc.

Now, I'm glad you trust in your fellow man to always do the right thing. However, I don't. Just read the newspaper or watch the news to know that there is plenty of criminal activity going on all around you. Thank god I live in AZ where I'm allowed to protect my family!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
reepicheep said:
Yeah, well think how safe you would be broken down in a bad Chicago neighborhood... concealed carry is effectively outlawed, so there is no safer place on the planet, right? ;)

I've managed to live for 52 years in what you would consider bad neighborhoods in Chicago and surprisingly enough I've managed it without feeling the need to shoot anyone. Maybe I'm just lucky. ;)

Last edited:

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Easy now XRpred...I've got Rich's back. Us 'cinco...centegenarians' have to stick together. We've probably stood in front of a urinal for more years that you can claim to be on this planet. Age and deceit can overcome youth and vitality every time.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
I've managed to live for 52 years in what you would consider bad neighborhoods in Chicago and surprisingly enough I've managed it without feeling the need to shoot anyone. Maybe I'm just lucky. ;)
I have managed 40 years myself. However, that isn't the point. I would rather have the means to protect my family and not need it than to need it and not have it! It really is that simple.

BTW, I have been to Chicago back in the late 80's and early 90's. As a result, I have no desire to ever visit that city again. I'll stick to safer locals.

I also think it is funny that the D.P.S. of AZ, the U.S. Marshals Service, and the F.B.I. all say I'm good to go but the great state of Illinois says I'm not. Go figure! :coocoo:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Rich Rohrich said:
...but you've encountered many that *needed shootin*!

bultaco4ever said:
Do you have to go through any training to get a concealed carry permit?
Some states yes, some states no....not available in IL or WI.

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
High Lord Gomer said:
...but you've encountered many that *needed shootin*!

... but that seems to be true where ever I go. :whoa:

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
bultaco4ever said:
Do you have to go through any training to get a concealed carry permit?
If you want an actual permit that allows you to carry in other states that honor the AZ CCW permit, like I have, yes. Classroom training, background check, fingerprinted, no felonies, no history of mental illness, and you have to pass a shooting test (like a drivers license road test).

Our state legislature just passed a new "Constitutional carry" law and is waiting to be signed by the Governor. Basically, as long as you are not a prohibited possessor you will be able to carry concealed with no permit in the state of AZ.

Even with this new law I will continue to renew my permit. It allows me to carry when on vacation in Indy and all states (NM, TX, OK, and MO) I travel through except IL.

bultaco4ever said:
SS...Here's what I propose: Being from Chicago, we are somewhat 'connected', if ya know what I mean. What if we were to 'guarantee your protection', if you get my drift? Then you would not deprive yourself some great trails like this:
There is no denying that IL is a beautiful state. I would love to ride there sometime. Hopefully things become more CCW friendly down the road so I won't feel "naked" if and when I'm there. Maybe I'll have to take you up on your "protection" offer sometime! :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SS109 said:
. . . Hopefully things become more CCW friendly down the road so I won't feel "naked" if and when I'm there. Maybe I'll have to take you up on your "protection" offer sometime! :cool:
Okay, I'm all for a guy being allowed to pack heat wherever he wants (within reason, of course), and I'm all for a guy getting a concealed weapon permit. I have one myself. Having said that . . .

are you really that scared of the world that you feel "naked" without a sidearm? I'm not. Heck, I pack it in the woods more than anything, just because I might run into sasquatch or something, but downtown? Nah. Maybe it's because I'm a man of larger carriage and cut a rather imposing figure by myself, therefore nobody seems to feel the need to harass me, but for the life of me I've never felt "naked" when not packing. To me, that's just paranoia, or your penis is really small.

again, let me reiterate, I fully support your right to carry, open or concealed, because that's what the big boys said when they wrote amendment #2. I just don't see how one could live their life in fear.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
XRpredator said:
Okay, I'm all for a guy being allowed to pack heat wherever he wants (within reason, of course), and I'm all for a guy getting a concealed weapon permit. I have one myself. Having said that . . .

are you really that scared of the world that you feel "naked" without a sidearm? I'm not. Heck, I pack it in the woods more than anything, just because I might run into sasquatch or something, but downtown? Nah. Maybe it's because I'm a man of larger carriage and cut a rather imposing figure by myself, therefore nobody seems to feel the need to harass me, but for the life of me I've never felt "naked" when not packing. To me, that's just paranoia, or your penis is really small.

again, let me reiterate, I fully support your right to carry, open or concealed, because that's what the big boys said when they wrote amendment #2. I just don't see how one could live their life in fear.
Now, let's not start down the road of personal insults, OK?

I don't live my life in fear whatsoever. I just want the ability to protect my family or myself if the need arises. I have a wife, two children, and a father who has MS that I am responsible for protecting. None of them, or even myself, can defend ourselves against multiple attackers if they choose to assualt one or all of us without a firearm. Do I think it will happen? No, I don't. However, the possibility does exist. Do you have auto insurance or wear your seatbelt because you plan on getting into a wreck? Do you have health insurance because you plan on getting sick or injured? I think not but the possibility of getting into a wreck or getting sick is there so you prepare for it just in case.

As for packing in the woods vs. the city. Where does most crime happen? In cities. The city has more dangerous "animals" in it than the woods/country. Nature's creatures, for the most part, want nothing to do with us humans. They also don't normally attack just out of maliciousness, hatred, or because they want your Ipod. The "animals" in the city do.

The feeling naked comment refers to being without something I am totally accustomed to having on me. Sort of like my wallet or car/house keys. I have carried legally since the age of 18 so when I'm out and don't have my pistol on me it feels odd.

mechanos

Jun 20, 2009
Think of how safe we would all feel if everyone had guns...and if all countries had nuclear weapons for that matter. I've been holding my tongue on this one but couldn't any longer, sorry.

To change the subject, nice video of the ride. No "hero" sections? I would have introduced myself Sunday (bulataco4ever) if I would have known which KDX rider you were, maybee I'll see you at the Fall ride.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
By the way, what KDX's are you running? My dad was thinkin about gettin the 243 bigbore by Ericc Gor. Is that an effective upgrade? Pros/cons? if you have anything to say email to kx85krazy@yahoo.com thanks

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
I thought that I picked all the 'hero' sections. Did I miss 'em. Video cam only got the first half of run. Only drawback, this run was kind of flat. KDX85...I'm running a stock 220. I'm leaving it stock.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SS109 said:
Now, let's not start down the road of personal insults, OK?
Nah, not personally insulting you, just making a li'l joke, because I KNOW there are dudes who pack because of that. I work with a mustachioed bandito who's barely not a midget who feels like he has to pack heat all the time.

Again, I fully support you packing. I have just as much to protect as you. I guess I'm lucky I live in Idaho :)

And I bet I got more chance of running into sasquatch out in the woods than you do downtown, so there.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom