Im about to buy this yz 250 97 frame with 99 engine

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
i was wondering if some may give me some advice here.

The bike is technically a 99 with the exception of a 97 frame do to regulations here in CA and the VIN numbers on 2 different frames. The VIN is nothing more than a series of numbers that represent certain things, for example on bikes, 2 or 4 stroke later than 97 if your 8th number in is a 3 or C you can NOT make it street legal. 1997 and older, manufactuers did not code vin #'s. They were always there, it( the VIN) was nothing more than a series of numbers to tell one bike apart from another. After 97 the numbers and letters in the vin started to represent certain things like size of engine, 2 or 4 stroke, where it was made, even emisions on the newer bike, all of that and more the DMV can tell about your bike just by looking at the vin#. The seller got ahold of a 97 frame and swaped it in hopes of getting the YZ street legal, and he still could. It is technicaly Illegal to do, but its kinda like a loophole that DMV has not cough on with, and probably never will.

The seller does not have the title from the bank yet, so im waiting on him to get it. Hes willing to sell the bike to me for about $1800

This bike is a green sticker bike, wich means i can ride it year around at recreational parks, here in CA the emission laws are getting on bikes as well, yes... i wouldnt be surprized if we gonna have to smog the bikes haha

As for anything wrong with the bike, the seller said that the clutch is kinda tight, works just fine the bike dosen't jump when you put it into gear, thats the only bad thing I can say about it to be honest with you. im not a professional rider, but is he saying "tight clutch" is the bad thing or that the bike "doesnt jump" when put into gear?

thank for all your advice.

Nick

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Well . . .

In May I got a 2002 RM 125 for $1500 - a steal. All it needed was a rear wheel bearing and a couple seals. Cost me about $50 to fix all the problems. There are exceptional deals out there. But that doesn't sound too bad in light of . . .

NADA Low book in this area on a 99 YZ 250 is $1645. Average is $2160.

See: http://www.nada.com

By the way, there are lots of posts on bikes "jumping" when put into gear . . . There are differing opinions as to whether that would be a serious problem or not . . . I guess he could have meant anything by the word "tight"

Rob

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The 99 engine is quite a bit nicer than the 97 engine. That could be considered an upgrade! The 97 frame has slightly different geometry than the newer ones. It does not steer quite as nice. The bike sounds like a fairly good deal, but it is a 97. It could also be difficult to resell being the engine and frame do not match up.

Top Bottom