IS A Dirt Bike Better for Trail Riding than an ATV ?

jefffoxsr

Nov 9, 2004
Hi Guys,
I've been trail riding atv's for years. I have always wanted a 4 stroke dirt bike for trail riding. I think I would like to ride a dirt bike on the trail much more than an atv.

I imagine a dirt bike can be ridden much faster and is more maneuverable.

I have been watching that show "dirt rider adventure" and they have a lot of fun. I didn't realize how well a bike could get through the rough stuff.

My questions:

1. How well does a dirt bike handle a little water and a little mud without having a lot of skill?

2. I don't want to drop the bike on me by having the back end slip out. Does this happen a lot?

3. Some of the places I go have small logs that you have to go over and ditches with 6 inches of water/mud to go through to get to the other side. Would a bike be able to get through without being a skilled rider?

4. What's easier on the trail for an atv?

5. What's easier on the trail for a dirt bike?

I had some seat time on a relative's 1995 YZ 125 back in the 90's, so I have a little experience on flat groomed property.

If it would be too much work on a dirt bike then I won't consider getting one.

If a dirt bike would be rather easy to do what I described above then I will consider getting one. At my age I want it to be easy.

Thanks for all your help.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, just about everyone here is partial to bikes :) I also guess it depends if you're going on a thin trail or not. I feel that an ATV has more control of you than you have of it because of it's weight. I would stick with a bike.

For your log comment. If the logs are small although plentyful, I might actually choose the (dare I say it) ATV because of what happens when you ride over a wet log. Slippery!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It's hard to carry a case of iced beer on a dirt bike.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Jaybird said:
It's hard to carry a case of iced beer on a dirt bike.
So right you are! :)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Beer and bikes(quads included) don't mix. Please ignore Jays poor attempt at humor. :|

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
I have both. If you want to enjoy all the scenery, go with the 4-wheeler. If you want to see a lot more scenery and have fun go with the dirt bike. As far as mud, the only mud that ever stopped mine was when it got so deep the skid plate was resting on it. Don't know your age, but at mine(50+) I enjoy the bike much more. Just my 2 cents worth. :ride:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Is a dirtbike easier? That's a relative question. Some things are easier, like jumping. Some things are not, like power-sliding. But the fun level goes up with the difficulty level. And you're definately safer on 2 wheels, and you can go more places, more easily.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I'm pretty sure Mutt likes the "new" me better than the old.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I just bought my first dirtbike last week! A KX 250. I'd never even rode one before. I've had street bikes and race mountain bikes, but no DB experience. On my first ride, I was blasting right through mud and water that came up over the wheels! If you can ride a 4 wheeler, I wouldn't think you would have a problem. I've also made it over big roots and logs and rocks. This thing is a blast to ride! Matt

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Where we go, NOTHING is "easy" and you flat out could NOT get an ATV up most of the trails. The trails just aren't wide enough. There are 2-foot deep water crossings, logs, roots, rocks, switchbacks . . . and it is endlessly fun. Get the bike. Once you've adjusted you'll never touch the quad again.

Top Bottom