TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
Hi all, I've come to the conclusion that my bike may have been ported in the past. Earlier this week I got to ride a 93 Kdx200 (mines an 89), and the 93 didn't perform nearly as well as mine does. Mine seemed to have more bottom end and alot more over-rev. I know that both bikes are jetted correctly for the 0* weather we've been having, so I think I can rule that out. And I don't think sprocket size will have a this much effect on bottom and top end power. Does anyone have the specs of the port dimensions? I plan on putting a new top end in it soon, so I can check them out then. Thanks

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
For some reason the 1989 motor has always run better than the 90-91-92-93-94 motors
It could be the different piston part numbers
13001-1295 (1989)
13001-1317 for the newer bikes

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've read stock ignition timing on the '89 is 1 degree retarded from the '90+ bikes, which improves power.

My buddy's old '89 always ran a little stronger up top than my old '90 with similar mods.

Hard to say that your bike is ported just because it runs better than your friend's, as there are other factors. Gearing can certainly make a difference. Maybe his silencer is clogged, his rings are worn, or something else.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know that the 89 ran better than the others of that generation. I'll get the port specs when I tear it down (waiting on my next paycheck).

The guy I bought it off of said it was ported before, but I didn't believe him. Since he said that he was tearing the bike down for a complete rebuild, but the way it was torn down, it looked like he knew nothing about bikes. He had the whole bottom end ripped appart and in a 5 gallon bucket. Half the bolts were in their wrong places and most of them needed to be replaced.

Top Bottom