Is Recession A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Vic, that was very good.

BTW, Rush suggested unionizing the pirates as a way to destroy them. Kind of a corollary to what you posted.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RM_guy said:
BTW, Rush suggested unionizing the pirates as a way to destroy them. Kind of a corollary to what you posted.
arrr, that be some malicious discourse on such a day as Pirate Tuesday, ye scurvy dog!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Patman said:
I believe the long term plan for many people is that they want to be rich.

I have settled into the mode that I want to be able to live off of as little money as possible.

Anything else is going to buy bikes :)

But my goal is to reduce all my debt (mortgage, student loans, etc.) to a point that I could live off of unemployment if laid off or live off a modest low income.

Ivan

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
truespode said:
I have settled into the mode that I want to be able to live off of as little money as possible.

But my goal is to reduce all my debt (mortgage, student loans, etc.) to a point that I could live off of unemployment if laid off or live off a modest low income.

Ivan

He who wants less is richer than he who has more. :nod:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Vic said:
He who wants less is richer than he who has more. :nod:

Life is like a ____ sandwich......the more bread you have, the less ____ you have to eat. ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
BadgerMan said:
Life is like a ____ sandwich......the more bread you have, the less ____ you have to eat. ;)
Like Ron Burgundy, I will NOT eat the cat poop!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
truespode said:

Ivan
A very good goal / plan and one I think several DRN'ers are following to some level but we are a miniscule minority, just like those with bags of money they are tripping over.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
What if in easy times we get lazy and self-centered?
What if hard times are the only times we learn?
What if I don't like those ideas?
What if those things are true and good for us?
What if everything I "deserve" has been done?
What if that last sentence makes me squirm?
What if squirming is good?
I think it's all simple... but nothing like easy.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The idiot box slobbering over a last minute pardon for ex Illinois governor Ryan. Poor baby has served enough time. Boo hoo. Oh, and Durbin is the one asking? They are special don't you know. Ever seen a black guy get early release for killing a few kids after a year? We voted them in. How do they get so self centered? $$$$$$$

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
the media can't be blamed for sensationalizing(?) the news we have.The are in the business of selling the news so they are going to pump up what they have.Built in advertising,having a train wreck for people to watch.

self fullfilling prophecy? not so sure about that but it was inevetible. Who do we blame? the government for sticking its nose in to business...the government for welfare programs..... big business for "telling" the people what they should buy....Mortgage companies "pushing" sub prime loans.....Oil companies for "price fixing" ...the war in IRaq .....technology industries "telling " us we need a new computer,IPOD,or cell phone every 6 months ,ooh the list can get sooooo long and I am sure that each and everyone one of them has thier share of the blame
but...
in general I blame the average human who thinks that new and bigger is better. That the next great thing is going to save them... If I get a cell phone or a laptop I can do more work and earn more money because I am doing business one the bus...scratch that I need an suv or a cadillac can't be caught dead on a bus...If I buy that overpriced house on a subprime I can show off to my friends and if things get bad I will sell......ugh......well you get the idea of my random thoughts...

My brother(who used to work on Wall Street) would to say "when the cashier at the pizza shop is talking to the dishwasher about stocks it is time to get out of the market" right before he lost his job at Morgan Stanley the beginning of the summer.
So I can guess he can blame Etrade?
Meanwhile my father would say"it is a lot easier to live cheaply with money in the bank than to live extravagant with no cash " is living life as I ever known him too after retiring 10 years ago

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Recession?

Are you talking about the economy, or your hairline?

RedGreen

Jul 20, 2005
I was reading this today for my Econ class and suddenly it all make sense now:

http://mises.org/story/3038

The building in the first picture is the Shanghai World Financial Center which was completed in October 2007 (fourth quarter of last year, Bman) at just over 1600 ft, making it the second tallest building in the world.

Skyscrapers are the cause of all our problems! No more skyscrapers, no more recessions, no more... wait, that means no more booms either :whoa:

I think we should all just sit back and watch some puppies play for awhile:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/shiba-inu-puppy-cam

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
jsantapau said:
the media can't be blamed for sensationalizing(?) the news we have.

I was a Journalism Major for 3 years before changing majors. I changed because I was tired of the manipulation that was being taught for news.

Today's news is Yellow Journalism at it's finest. Nothing new, just more of it.

Our media is selling news, not reporting.

Ivan

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
truespode said:
I was a Journalism Major for 3 years before changing majors. I changed because I was tired of the manipulation that was being taught for news.

Today's news is Yellow Journalism at it's finest. Nothing new, just more of it.

Our media is selling news, not reporting.

Ivan

They can't be blamed if we are the ones buying it

sorry that is the point I was trying to make

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^Yea but doesn't it taste kinda nasty when trust is gone?
What is Truth?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Like I said before most people are sheep looking to be herded as well as anything else that comes along and happens to the flock. On the flip side you have the shepherd who decides what happens which is exactly what Washingron DC does and of course the shepherd doesn't actually do the herding he needs a trusty and obedient dog which just so happens to be the media (TV, print & radio). So you see it's all just as planned for the most part except for those pesky wolves that scare the sheep and irritate the shepherd, that would be those that don't buy in to the whole program as dictated by the shepherd.

So believe what you will because you will believe only that and be prepared because there will be much more shepherding to come in the very near future.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Sorry.........DNF

Last edited:

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Barrack will fix it! He said so?

heheh yeah ok .. just another politician told us what most of the people wanted to hear and yet leaving in or bringing in old time politics for a cabinet. Don't get me wrong anybody who steps into that office is going to get blamed for things that happened in the past that led up to these events. I just hope that anyone in the future that gets voted in realizes that any bandaid on a wound that recquires sutures will more than likely end up with an infection that is worse than the original cut.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
This is NOT the Great Depression II!

Facts:
Unemployment is ~7% now.
Great Depression: ~25%

Less than some 20 banks have failed now.
Great Depression: ~4,000 failed in the 1st part of 1933

I too am SICK of hearing about it.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
You're right this not the great depression Just 2 questions about the facts though(in all seriousness not to be arguementative but info on how to actually look this stuff up)

is it 25% of the population not working compared to 7% collecting unemployment? and
4000 mom&pop little banks that were non fdic compared to 20 major institutions.

This could be another case of manipulation of the media from the other side using statistics in their favor,by comparing apples to oranges

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
jsantapau said:
This could be another case of manipulation of the media from the other side using statistics in their favor,by comparing apples to oranges
I prefer comparing apples to these:

a5156_thumb.gif

but I'm hardcore like that

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
interesting point on sheoples.... applied for a job with pepsico bottling plant and there is a questionaire about if i race or ride motorcycles or any other dangerous activity hmmmmm I didn't get the job but it makes me wonder how much money Jeff Gordon made from them?

Top Bottom