rzarock

Sep 27, 2005
I just bought a 2000 YZ250 from my brother in law as he left the country to pursue his new career. It was a steal at $500 so I couldn't pass it up. It seems to be in great shape. He was the original owner and maintained it regularly. It was never raced (hardly ever ridden actually), has a FMF Fatty pipe, Shorty silencer and a new top end. It fires up on the first kick and has plenty of power.
My problem is that I'm new to dirtbikes (especially 2-strokes) as I have been riding 4-stroke quads for the last 3 years. I don't race. I only ride trails in the deserts of southern Arizona and have had a few problems with the bike. The trails I ride vary in terrain. Some are fast washes and dusty roads, others are slow hill climbs and technical mountain trails. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it normal for a 2-stroke to run rough while maintaining speed? It seems like the only time the engine runs smooth is when I accelerate.

2. Is it normal for plugs to foul after riding for approximately 5-6 hours under slow speeds (1st and 2nd gear mostly)?

3. Is it even realistic to expect this type of machine to perform under trail conditions or is this more like delivering mail with a top fuel dragster?

4. Is there anything I can do to make this bike trail worthy and reliable?

I don't want to get rid of the bike but if it can't do what I need it to do I guess I'll have to. As I stated above I ride a 2000 Honda 400EX and never have any problems. I just change the oil, gas up and go. I never stalls or fouls plugs and it's great on the trails.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
rzarock said:
1. Is it normal for a 2-stroke to run rough while maintaining speed? It seems like the only time the engine runs smooth is when I accelerate.

2. Is it normal for plugs to foul after riding for approximately 5-6 hours under slow speeds (1st and 2nd gear mostly)?

3. Is it even realistic to expect this type of machine to perform under trail conditions or is this more like delivering mail with a top fuel dragster?

4. Is there anything I can do to make this bike trail worthy and reliable?

1. They may not be as smooth as a 4-stroke but they should not be "rough".

2. No, not if jetted correctly and correct heat range plug used.

3. I trail ride my '06 YZ-250 a lot (and used to trail my previous ones as well when I rode when younger).

4. Not familiar with the 2000 model to answer that.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
The 2000 YZ250 is a terrible woods bike. I'll give you $600 for it.

Just kidding. That's a great woods bike, but it sounds like you need to clean up your jetting a little bit.
I remember a friend saying that he dropped the needle one clip and went one size leaner on the pilot to make his run right.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Your 2000 engine is very similar to the 2006 bike. If you get your jetting correct, you will be happy.

A 11 oz flywheel weight makes the bike feel more smooth at lowe speed.

Being that you stole this bike, dont feel bad about spending some money on it to make it right.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
The 00 yz is a great trail bike, By raising the clip one notch on the needle and ajusting the air screw you should be able to get it running very clean and smooth.
The stock suspension is probably better for trails than for mx.
Also the bike is very reliable, the only thing thats junk is the stock chain.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
It is a great bike, trail or track. But it is a race bike, it ain't no XR. If you remeber that you two will get along for many years.

Top Bottom