Is there a difference between a hotstart lever and a decompression lever?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Huh?

Yes, they are different.

Four strokes in recent years (last 8 years or so) have auto-decompression, so there's no decompression lever needed. They just have a hot start lever on the bar and nothing else. The Honda's were always this way.

The first 4 stroke Yamaha YZF's had a decompression lever on the bars and a red hot start knob on the carb. Dubach racing had a kit so that both levers were mounted on the bars (otherwise, when you stalled, you had to lean down and search for that darn hot start knob and get clonked on the head by some other rider's bars when they passed) I believe later models had both hot start and (separate) decompression levers on the bars. But not long after, auto-decompression had arrived.

Decompression lever - find TDC, pull lever in, relieve compression by inching the kickstarter a bit further, let lever out, let kickstarter up and kick (well .. I think so...this is so old I can hardly remember :whoa: )

Hot start lever - pull it in after stalling when hot and kick away

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Yes, there is a difference.

My WR450F has a "hot start" lever on the handlebars, next to the clutch. The cable leads to the carburetor, and will lean the carburetor out for easier starting when it is hot.

Rod

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Decompression lever activates an exhuast valve slightly to relieve pressure in the cylinder

hotstart opens a cavity in the carb to allow fresh air past the carb into the intake without fuel.

Top Bottom