Is this a common problem? Or am I the problem?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
LH VALVE ROD GEAR.P/N 16085-1274
The very last tooth furthest from the punch mark is cracked and about to snap off. Ronayers has them listed for about $71 AUD. They dont ship here though. My dealer wants $110 I said a few swear words and hung the phone up... Is this a common problem? Was it from me not supporting it properly when removing the nut? Im trying to source a cheaper place but I think I'm looking at over $200AUD for the LH gear and centre shaft. :bang:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I've taken apart a lot of those power valves and never seen a broken gear. Even on much older bikes. I've never "supported" anything before either, just took it off. Did you look on that auction place for a used cyl.? Might be about the same price range with lots of spare parts. Good luck.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Ouch! Dude, I feel your pain. Only one cheap thing for it... put it back together with KIPS stuck open and keep it in band when you ride it. Good luck with the salvage/repair!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Lol Timmy she would be a handful in the tight stuff. No? There isnt much over in Australia KDX related on that site. Or at least I cant find much.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Yeah I agree, not much on that place here in Oz. That said, I did find my bike there, but it was a bit shocking when I got it. Definitely wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a spare parts cylinder tho.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
KAY DEE EXER,

Last month when I was rebuilding my top end I noticed that the same tooth was gone on the same gear.

Since I was getting my parts from FRP I asked him about it. He said since it's the last tooth, the rest of the teeth are doing the majority of the engagement with the sub valve rods. He also told me that he has seen this quite often and does not see it as a problem.

I took his word for and put it back together. After a couple of hours on the new top end, the KIPS valves open and shut with no problem. The bike's running like a champ.

I'm the second owner of the bike. I'm not sure if I broke the tooth or the owner before me did when he replaced the stock piston (220). Either way, it runs great.

Take this for what it's worth.

Later,
Chuck

Top Bottom