is this bad for the transmission?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
is it bad to have the transmission overfilled a bit?
I dont see how excess transmission oil could cause a problem.
say it was pretty overfilled. what would happen?
a bit overfilled?
a little tiny bit?
I just change my tranny fluid for the first time, and I put too much in. this is why I'm curious.
sorry about the threads recently, I'm new, and am trying to get my bike in prime working order before it starts getting nice out.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Depends. If it is listed at 1000cc's and you add, 1050...don't worry. If you fill it to 1500cc's, you're gonna leave a trail of tranny fluid as you ride because it's going to vent. If the vent tube/passage is blocked, you're gonna blow a seal somewhere.

Why not just drain the fluid and add new fluid to the correct level?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
There is a lot of additional heat generated due to the friction of all of that oil sloshing around. It could potentially overheat the transmission, if you had WAY too much oil as stated earlier. A little too much isn't a problem.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, I'll drain some.

EDIT: ok, I drained some, and it is just a little less than 50cc over what it's supposed to be.
and if that is still too much, the vent tube is clear, I checked it.
the oil is not that high, though.

it's a 175 cc, and it says 700cc's of oil for the tranny.

new bikes are more like 1000cc's, huh?

Last edited:

pyrex

Registered
Mar 12, 2007
what happens when there is too much oil is the oil sloshes around and foams the oil up. making it act like it actually has less oil in it.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
That's more of a crankcase side problem, the crankshaft strikes the surface of the oil and traps air in it. Overfilling in a transmission side generates too much heat and leads to leaks.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, thanks guys.

I got it running great again, starts first kick. I guess the top end does not need replacing!

the 80w-90 tranny oil works great, clutch action is good.

Top Bottom