mountain

Jan 7, 2002
This Saturday, I changed the oil on my 2000 XR400.
Manual calls for 1.8 quarts. I put in about 1 and 3/4 quarts (thinking I was almost at .8) and checked the dipstick. I am about 3/4 of an inch over the "high" mark on my dipstick. (By the way, I DID drain the rest of the oil from the 2nd drain in the engine...)
Rode some, and it is still at that level.
I didn't notice any performance probs running w/ this much extra oil, but I wanted to get some feedback as to if I am doing some damage that I can't notice while riding.
I don't want to mess with draining "only some" of the oil, but if it really hurts the bike w/ too much oil I will do it. Do I need to worry bout this? Why? What will this do?
Also, if I really should drain some of the oil, any suggestions on how to "only drain some of it"? Just plug the frame hole w/ my finger and replace the bolt? (while the bike is cold, of course)
Any cleaner methods out there?
Thanks.

Last edited:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Yes, running with too much oil is harmful to your motor.

So, you put about 1 3/4 quarts in? Thats strange that the oil would read as over filled. Did you change the filter too? Sometimes quite a bit of oil is left over in and around the oil filter. Also, what method did you use to check the oil? Its pretty much the same on all XR's, let it idle for 3 minutes or so, shut it down, pull the dipstick and wipe it clean, then put the dipstick back in, but do not thread it back in the hole.

If you've done everything correct, then I'm stumped.

Kwackers

Sep 15, 2000
If you need to remove just a little oil just syphon it out of the filler hole with some thin plastic tube, just try not to swallow any it will probably do you more harm than the bike !

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I did the same thing on my last oil change. The manual said add x quantity of oil and when I got most of it in it overflowed. I didn't know how much spilled so I added too much after running the bike to fill the case. On the next ride I can hear more of an engine whine, like a turbo whistle. I am about 3/4 inch above the mark too. Oil is cheap so I will change it correctly before the next ride. Trying to siphon out the extra is more of a trail fix. The oil is cheap and could probably use another change anyway. Consider it a flush.

What damage could too much oil cause? I too wonder. You can seize a lawn mower engine if you add too much oil.

-chilly

Jan 8, 2002
My two cents:

Too much oil in a car is bad, since the extra oil foams up if it is getting hit by the crank. This puts air where your oil should be.

On my XR250, (and I'm really certain the XR400 also), the oil kept in the engine is controlled by the oil pump. You could have a 55 gallon drum of oil hooked up to your motor and the level would be the same, when the motor is running. The problem with too much oil in the frame is the motor's breathing. The cylinder head is vented to the oil tank in the frame. If the oil level is too high, it can slosh back into the head, run down the cam chain and into the
bottom of the motor. If it's sloshing more then the pump was built to hand, you have oil sitting around waiting while the crank whips it into a nice puree.

A simple way to get rid of a few ounces of oil is to use the oil level check bolt. It's located just below the oil lines on the clutch side of the motor. First place a piece of duct tape that hangs down off the motor, just under the bolt. This will keep the oil from dripping it's way down the motor, under it and all over your lower frame. Lean the bike back on the sidestand, remove the bolt, straighten the bike upright, drain the amount you want, replace bolt tada!
Not that I EVER overfilled my oil :^).
See ya,
Carl

mountain

Jan 7, 2002
Hey Chilly,
Good idea about the oil level check bolt. I forgot about that....
But I'm confused about the tape part...
Are you saying that simply putting a piece of duct tape (which side up) under this hole will direct all the oil down it without any of it running off of the sides of the tape? Does the tape have to be in a V shape?
I just don't quite understand how this would work. Can you please elaborate?
Thanks a lot.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
What I pictured was sticky side up onto the bottom of the engine with a couple inches extra sticking out horizonatally that under its own weight would sag down. This would be placed directly under the plug. After the initial blast when the oil starts to run down the case it would hit the tape crack and run away from the cases. Kinda like a drip rail on a roof.

Why don't you just pull off the skid plate? It's a good time to pull out the old squirrels and rocks that got in there. On the old XRs (mine) you have to to drain the frame.

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
My opinion is that we are all on the wrong track here. You have to put in the specified quantity this quantity is not a ballpark figure , it is exactly how much your engine needs. They know what they are doing by giving a quantity reccomendation.Ignore the dipstick,it is not always accurate because of the oil is in the engine and some is in the frame. The dipstick only tells you how much is sitting in the frame.

lipskid

Feb 12, 2001
I have also changed my oil, only to find the dipstick reading too much. Drained it, refilled, same thing.
What I found was that I was not checking the oil level as per the instructions in the manual. The bike should idle for 5 minutes while standing upright before checking, NOT leaning on the kickstand. Also do not blip the throttle while idling.
If you don,t keep the bike straight up, it WILL read high.

:D

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I went and bought a 2-stroke premix cup with graduations. I calculate how many OZ's to pour out of one container, and pour it into the premix cup. Then I pour in one full quart, let it sit for a few, hold the compression, turn over the motor by hand etc... Then after a few minutes, I pour in what's left in the second quart, minus what I calculated to pour out. Start it up, let it warm up, take a short ride around the 'hood (my neighbors love me!) then come back and check my oil. On my XR400, I could get it perfect on the dipstick, almost every time. However, on my new 650R, I tried it last weekend, and it came out low. I will double check my calculations, and try it again next time.

One other thing, make sure you folks check and clean your oil strainer screen regularly. Mine, on the low miles 650R I just bought, had debris and small metal slivers in it. Especially you guys with newer bikes, check that strainer screen. Don't be lazy because of a skidplate either. Good luck.

mountain

Jan 7, 2002
HA! That's funny Snaggle....You busted me about the skid plate!
OK, OK, I'll do it. I haven't cleaned the strainer yet. I really didn't think it would have any gunk, but I'll check it. (The manual says to check this once a YEAR, I think. So I figured it would be OK for a while).

Lipskid, thanks for that info. Actually, I think that's what I did. I didn't let it idle like I should have before checking the level....I forgot about that!!!
I DID only put 1 and 3/4 quarts in...And I DID drain from both drain bolts....
I'll be this whole time I was fine. I'll check it out tomorrow.
How many of you guys are gonna tear it up tomorrow?? I know I am. I'm freakin obsessed w/ my bike!! This site is the best! Thanks for all your help guys.
I'm gonna go get ANOTHER coffee now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom