MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Can that be true?

Even after having something fixed on my bike that actually caused me to fall (front brake) I now don't trust myself at all.

I've been riding as much as I can and practicing like nobody's business since I got my bike (outside of the time off for that neck injury thing). This is my first bike so I should be improving every time I go out and not hit the "wall" :bang: as it were, but something is wrong and it seems like I just started riding regularly 7 days ago instead of 7 months ago.

I'm now sitting out with some stupid abdomen thing and a fractured elbow so I have a little time to think....I hurt myself after deciding that I had to get rid of my "demons" and just ride, so I started just putting around the track and just feeling it out again--my speed (such as it is) came back.

After a few laps everything felt normal for the first time in weeks so I decided to attempt a double right after a rather tight right hander. I tried it and I actually cleared it (with a little bobble) I've never been so happy on a track, but the next time around I thought I could do better and I started trying to remember everything to do right and the next thing I remember was trying to stand up and realizing my helmet had broken and I was bleeding....Now I feel like I should just hang it up and try riding again next year. :think:

Any advice?

I haven't been around in a while (save PMs)--Hope everybody is doing okay. :cool:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
First, it is great to hear from you. I have been wondering how you are doing.

Second, do you ride with anyone?

Sometimes the people you ride with can help or hurt. I am lucky that all my riding buddies are very understanding about me being tentative.

If I was you, I would find some decent trails and ride on them for a little while. You will get a good feel of your bike and not have to worry about jumping. Don't think too much... just ride at your own pace and have fun.

It sounds to me that you are more worried about jumping (I may be wrong) than you are riding. I know jumping is fun but it took me 18 months before I started really jumping. Actually, I did not start jumping regularly until well after I bought my second bike.

Also, we are only a few hours away. Come ride with us and we'll help you see if there are any bike setup or if your positioning is incorrect. We have an e-mail group we have fun on too. If you want to be a part of it e-mail me at truespode at yahoo.com

Ivan

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
truespode said:
If I was you, I would find some decent trails and ride on them for a little while. You will get a good feel of your bike and not have to worry about jumping. Don't think too much... just ride at your own pace and have fun.

Ivan

Hey MEW.

Glad to see ya back. :cool:

I agree with Ivan. Get out an just do some trail riding. Learn basic riding skills and get as much time on the bike as possible. Riding tracks all the time doesn't teach you to react to the unknown. When riding trail, there is something new around every corner. Different traction, different conditions, teaches you to be a better all-around rider. If you trail ride with the right people it can be just about as competitive as racing.

The jumping and racing thing is all about confidence. It takes a long time to gain the confidence it takes to jump and go fast on a race track. It only takes one good get-off to lose that confidence.

What is happening to you is nothing out of the ordinary. Take your time and get back into it slowly. It takes years to become comfortable on a dirt bike. Nothing against you but, since you've only been riding for 7 months, you don't really have the natural ability to react to things when they go wrong.

The more seat time you get, the more this will become a natural reaction for you.

Don't give up. Winners never quit and quitters never win.

And yes, it is all in your head. ;)

Just my $ .02

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
MEW, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been riding for a few years. I rode in the woods when I first started riding and then my son got a bike and wanted to race MX so I decided to race with him. So my first time on a track was a race, and I just happened to break my back (not a bad spinal cord type one). Just a couple of years ago I had a knee surgery, and I just found out that I've torn the miniscus in the same knee, just this year. When I started riding I was about 25, I turned 30 this year and each year I get a little better, but people like me and you have to remember that we didn't and will never have or get a lifetime of practice on a dirtbike so there is a stopping point somewhere for ability.
I'm not trying to brag here but from where I was a few years ago (ability) I can clear some descent size jumps, but I can tell you, I have crashed my brains out to get to the point to figure out how to jump, and at my age it's starting to take it's toll. But to me it's worth it, but like many have said, take a change of senery, I for one found a few local kids that were pretty decent at MX who were willing to let me ride along with them, and that alone helped out alot.

lbk

Aug 4, 2004
Not that I have a lot of room to talk since really I just started dirt riding this year, and actually jumping anything of significance this past weekend. But for me it was all in my head.

I posted a while back about looking for the next step. I started by jumping these little doubles on the Intermediate track. I just kept doing those and a small table top on that same track. Over and over again. Till I felt comfortable with it, never pushing too much just a little more each time. Till finally I was clearing the little table top. Nothing to brag about, there were young kids on 80's doing better than me. But I've learned from roadracing that checking your ego at the door, will carry you a long way in your learning curve.

To me it's timing and pace, take things at a pace that you are comfortable with that leads to fewer steps backwards. When I first started roadracing I would push myself, which would lead to a crash that would take me back three steps and I'd have to get my confidence back again. This year I've crashed three times roadracing but each time I knew exactly what I did wrong that caused it. So I didn't have to take as much time to regain my confidence. I knew don't do x again and you'll be fine.

Anyway back to dirt, this past weekend I thought I was ready to try the doubles on the regular MX track. These are easy ones because the face of the second jump is not steep so you don't have to clear them to be ok. In fact few people were clearing them. So I take a run, and sure enough chickened out wound up just rolling them. So I turned around did it again just concentrating on giving it a little gas before I hit the top to keep the front end up. I landed it, it was smooth and it felt easy. So I turned around and just did this same jump probably 10 more times before going around the rest of the track. By the end of the day I was getting more and more comfortable just doing each jump in very very small increments. I still have a long way to go before I'm jumping anything that anyone who rides regularly would even consider a jump. But my learning curve is at a pace that builds my confidence. When I crash I want to know exactly why I did so that I don't have to take the steps backwards.

So it is mental in my book, and to me it's just taking very very small steps. I'm another one who didn't ride as a kid, dirt bikes are completely new to me, and I try to pay attention to what the bikes doing. Relax, stay lose because the bike can get pretty out of shape and you'll still be ok. This was the hardest thing for me to get use to coming from the street, and roadracing world. Best of luck, and if you feel the desire to ride, then ride just do what you are doing now which is taking a moment to reflect on your choices and see if there is a need to change them, or if it was just part of your learning curve. I went through similar time periods street riding where I felt like I just should take a break, when in reality all I needed to do was slow down my learning curve and in the end it pays off.

Sorry so long, and not even sure if it will help all this coming from someone who doesn't have much dirt experience, but hopefully by relating to your situation it will at least get you to see, you are not alone, and lots of people go through this type of thing. Some just don't admit it. :D

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
MEW, we had a member here, Georgiaboy, who pretty much crashed himself out of this sport, doing too much, too soon. It takes years of practice to be a good jumper. Take some time on the trails, get with a crew that loves to ride, racing is fun, but is not everything. The more you ride and stay on your bike, the better you will get. too many falls early on in this game, and it will knock the wind from your sails. So ride within your limitations, get a lot of saddle time, maybe try out a hare scramble or enduro. Spend a year getting know your bike, yourself, your limits. Take a break from getting hurt and hammered. The more fun you have, the better you will get. :thumb:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Stop trying so hard, riding is just about having fun. You will improve with time, but right now it sound to me that, you are your own worst enemy. Hit the trails with Ivan and have fun!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Now I feel like I should just hang it up and try riding again next year.

You know, the first 7 yrs of riding I said they same thing almost every day, ended up leaving the track and for the next 24 yrs just went trail riding, now I'm 51 and in the last 4 yrs I've done a few GP's a handful of H&H's, a couple of Enduros and now I'm dicking around in supermoto and still haven't been back on a track for more than a hour or two.

There is no time frame that says you must you must achieve a certain level, you ride at your own pace and things will come around.

Oh, and yes it's all in your head and that can be a good thing for the longevity of your riding experience

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Sorry to hear of the carnage bud. You went to Mountaineer again?
Hope all heals well

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. It may be a case of me trying to do too much too soon, like you pointed out BunduBasher. Or maybe it's my job--it's pretty stressful these days. It's funny but I never worried about jumping until I realized everytime I got to a jump I had to slow way down and roll it; I got tired of that so I started out slowly on the little track jumping "babytops" and after a while I was a little bored--but still having fun.

I've always loved corners/turns and I still do, so that's where I try to practice the most. I'm not fast like some people but it's funny I how I just ride the best I can and sometimes I catch people in turns (especailly the tight ones)--of course they roost me 10 seconds later. Jumping is secondary in my book, it just so happens that as I moved to the advanced track the jumps became more important and I started to "think" about them more.

I do ride with a couple guys Ivan, and they are pretty helpful, real helpful actually, but they are also fast, so I think they only have speed on their minds. One of them is the guy who helped me my first day at the track all those months ago. I've been wanting to come back to SC to hangout with you all again so I hope to do that before the end of this riding season. I've ridden trails again and I got a little better than when we went out that first time--lots of fun!! And mud.

After a ride a couple weeks ago one guy (Shaun) said that I should stop crying and when I explained that I wasn't "crying" I was just "concerned" about whatever it was (hehehehehe), he said the only reason he was hard on me is because he wants me to ride at the level he knows I can. It turns out, he and a buddy watch me every time we ride, apparently I did okay my first few times out on the advanced track. Even when I ate it hard I got back up and kept trying (Nods to Ol'89r).

There are times when I am so comfortable on the bike I can't ever imagine doing anything else with my leisure time and those are the times when everything seems so easy--I wonder where that comes from. I don't jump the highest/farthest but I feel pretty "smooth" and comfortable so each time I end up going a little faster and farther. I guess I wasn't expecting to start riding like such a fresh-out-of-the-box Newb again...LOL. I am an expert in one thing though, I can tell you exactly what sort of roost pattern every model tire will leave across your jersey, helmet (that you just waxed) and teeth. Yes, teeth should be fully exposed and clenched as the theme from Rocky plays in your head while you chase down that 13yo girl that just passed you....again. :bang: :laugh:

It's cool you guys didn't forget about me. :aj:

Hey Sparx I'm still down for Tomahawk whenever you can get out there. I had fun that day we went!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Glad to hear you have some good guys riding with you. That is very important. I can't tell you how much it has meant to my riding (and me personally) to have Gomer mentor me.

Ivan

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
truespode said:
I can't tell you how much it has meant to my riding (and me personally) to have Gomer mentor me.

Ivan

yeah I saw the Gomer stick at DW04 ....... :yikes:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MadEarthWorm said:
It turns out, he and a buddy watch me every time we ride, apparently I did okay my first few times out on the advanced track. Even when I ate it hard I got back up and kept trying (Nods to Ol'89r).

QUOTE]

MEW.

That is not the type of get-off I was referring to. More like the kind where you can't get back up. The kind where you find yourself laying on your back looking up at a white ceiling and asking yourself, how did I get here??? :yikes: Those are the kind that give us time to question ourselves as to why we do this. Those are the kind that can take away the confidence that takes years to attain.

I know that you had one of those. Maybe this is why you feel the way you do.

We all crash and 99% of the time we get back up and go again. It's that 1% that makes you think. My comment about your experience or lack of it was not meant to demean you in any way. It takes years of experience to be able to naturally correct a bad situation. These things have to happen naturally without thinking about them. If you have to stop and think about how to correct in the air, usually it's too late. You already hit the ground.

With years of experience comes the ability to correct things without thinking about them. It become a natural response. Most of those eight to ten year old kids that are jumping the big jumps have been riding since they were about four. They didn't just go out and start doing it.

When you hear someone say," Man, that kid's a natural". If you check in to it, you will usually find out that that kid has been riding for years. Most of them start out in the PW50 class and by the time they get on a 65 they have years of experience.

IMO, the secret to enjoying this sport is keeping yourself safe.
I have seen many people with a lot of talent crash out of the sport, never to come back. But, if you use your head, (not for landing on.) and take your time learning, you can enjoy this sport for many, many years.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Hey MEW, I was expecting to see you at DirtWeek. Now I know why you didn't go.

Ride your own ride. Only YOU can know when you are ready to do certain things on a motorcycle. I’m a very timid rider; always have been, always will be. Hell, I consider myself a 31-year beginner. I always try to learn or do something new, or different because there is always something new to learn or something to improve upon. But because of my slow learning/confidence curve, I’m able to enjoy motorcycling at the age of 41 as much as I did when I was 10 years old. It just never gets old.

Confidence…you’re only as confident as your last accomplishment or crash. In either case, learn from the experience and move on. Even if I’m lucky enough to ride until the ripe old age off 100 years old, I'll always consider myself a student.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
MEW<

Lot of good advice here from everyone. (just do what gomer says, not what he does :) )
You've heard the saying, go slow to go fast!.
If youre into track riding, slow down, concentrate on your style,( elbows up, head forward, am I pressing on the out side peg, pushing on the gas tankwith my outside knee, looking wherer I want to be, not where I am???) There is lots of things that need to become natural, and it takes some time to get there, some get there sooner then others. When I am having a so-so day, I slow down, work on my technique, not the speed. ( And trust me, just because you can not jump everything, doesn't mean you are slow., you can't excellerate with the tires off the ground) :laugh:

Have fun!

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
I wanted to go real bad rv6Junkie but I had to work because of a lady in my group going on maternity leave. My boss told me months ago, but what I didn't know was that she would have the baby EARLY!!! AAGHHHH!!

Thanks for the advice guys....I wanna ride for years and years by then it should be natural--I hope.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
MEW, like Ol'89r said "Most of those eight to ten year old kids that are jumping the big jumps have been riding since they were about four. They didn't just go out and start doing it." Just go at your own pace, take advice from experienced riders and have fun.
I just "dove in" when I went to learn how to ride a track. But I had a few reasons. 1) My son had been riding for about a year and had just begun racing, and I felt like crap putting him out there on a track, and I myself had not been on a track myself (and I guess I proved to myself why that night :) ) 2) I got really bored with riding woods (even though I live less than 5 miles from a National Forest, and yes it's legal to ride there :cool: ) so I decided to tryout the track for a little while, and when I set my mind on doing something, I for some reason go all out, that's just my way.
After I broke my back it was like starting all over again. I sold that bike since it was setup for the woods, and a got a bike more track friendly. We went to a track every weekend and practiced on something every time, whether it was corners, whoops, jumps, braking, whatever, we practiced. Then we would just play ride with friends. Now I'm to the point where I still can learn more, but I can go to a track and ride my own comfortable pace and do all or most of the obstacals on the track. And that is all that I really wanted to ever acomplish. But I can tell you that I did take a few faceplants to get there ;)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
find a track with tables instead of doubles

don't try any "big" jumps unless you can reliably adjust the attitude of the bike in the air

consider the concequences of coming up short on a jump, then mentally move on. Focus on the landing ramp. It's hard to clear a jump if you can't picture yourself clearing it!

practice/focus on only one thing at a time (elbows up, look ahead, etc.). If your mind is on too many things at once you will forget something important.

once you get familiar with a section, try riding a gear higher. if the motor bogs, that's ok. you will probably find that you are going faster, even if you have to clutch it a bit

keep your mind open to different types of riding...woods, trials, sand, motard, hillclimbing. Country music sucks no matter what, though...

do what makes you happy, everything else comes secondary.

Top Bottom