regal21guy

Jan 14, 2008
Hey guys i am in the market for a jet ski and was just wondering what a good brand to go with is ? also when i go out to look at one what should i be looking at ? Any info would be very much appreciated because i really dont know what to look at for i am new to the jet ski thing . :coocoo:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd say since Jet Ski was a brand of Kawasaki, I'd go with Kawasaki..

And, then, as this is DIRTrider.net and not jetskirider.net, you're not likely to get a lot of good advice about things not DIRTBIKE related.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
IndyMX said:
And, then, as this is DIRTrider.net and not jetskirider.net, you're not likely to get a lot of good advice about things not DIRTBIKE related.
:coocoo:

What kind are you looking for? Stand up? Sit down? What kind of $ are you wanting to spend?

Hard to beat a Yamaha, I always thought they were very dependable. What ever you do, stay away from a Sea Doo with a 720, 650, 580. The 800's were pretty reliable. Look for any type of fiberglass repair jobs, take a look at all the fuel/water lines. Any cracking etc..

Any questions let me know, years ago I worked at a shop, I don't know much about the new ski's, but have worked on alot of the older ones, especially Sea Doo's if that tells you anything :cool:

Rick

tcuda499

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
I agree with Rickyd. Yamaha makes some great skis and are very reliable.Sea Doo might have a slight edge on performance though. Definetly what ever one you find check compression. That will tell you alot. Also if its been in fresh or salt water. Salt water needs to be flushed out after every ride. Lastly 2 srtoke or 4 srtoke? Big difference and money.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Look around at what the rental places in your area are using. They usually use the average performance, most reliable bikes to rent. They use them a season or two and then update. Most rental companies here on the Gulf use Yamaha.

I used to have a Kawasaki ski years ago and it was a lemon. I went on the premise that Indy said about Jet Ski being a Kawasaki brand name. It didn't work out for me. It was in the shop more than at my house. All warranty work, but unridable during peak seasons. I was really disappointed in it. I contacted Kawasaki customer service to try and work things out and I remember what I was told to this day. "We're sorry Mr. Forshag, but Kawasaki can't please everyone." So I tend to avoid green anything and spend my money elsewhere.

James Miller

Jul 26, 2002
Don't buy a Polaris. They don't make jet ski's anymore and you won't be able to find parts for them soon.

I had a sit down, and I promise you will soon be wishing you had a standup. Get a yamaha superjet. Readily available parts everywhere, lots of mods.

ats666

Apr 26, 2007
I agree with the dont get a polaris. I have one and I haven't got it to run right yet.
Mine is definantly called a beater LOL

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Still riding my 1987 Kawasaki SX650. I was able to pick it up for less than $700 bone stock. After online surfing, etc., I spent another $600+ and now it runs very well. No shortage of aftermarket parts online (impellers, skid plates, water boxes, even dual carb setups) for reasonable prices. The standups are much more difficult to learn, but worthwhile. Another benefit, is that most people dont tend to mooch as much on your watercraft once they realize it may take a "little" skill to learn.

Top Bottom