gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Last fall I rebuilt my boy's KX85 out to 100cc. It's been running pretty well all year, but there is a bit of spooge around the exhaust outlet. Jetting is stock KX85. This weekend it finally fouled a plug (after falling over time and time again from woods riding incidents.) I'm thinking that I need to lower the needle one notch from middle. The needle is marked NAPE if I recall. The bike idles pretty well, so I'm not suspicious of the pilot jet. Should I be?

One other question. Should the needle be arrow straight? It has a slight bend to it.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
What do you mean 'bent'? :ohmy: If it was truely bent, it would jam up in the body & main?? You sure it wasn't bent outside the carb? IMO, changing the needle per se wouldn't be expected, but lowering the needle/raising the clip 1 notch might be in light of the bore.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
It's not bent to the point of getting stuck. I just twirled it in my fingers and you can see a slight bow to it. There wasn't any damage done as I removed it. The needle appears to have been that way prior to my getting at it.

MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
My experience with the KX85 and KX100 has been that the KX100 needs 1 step-leaner main jet. The needle likes to be 1 step-richer with the clip position. Also, try using the needle Kawasaki uses for it's KX100. It's like the one for the KX85 but it's wider in the initial straight portion - making the bike leaner at around 1/4-3/8 throttle. That cleans things up a bit.

My experience with these bikes is that Kawasaki has them too rich to begin with - so you may want to drop 2 sizes on your main jet. You should try both sizes. The bike will wake up when you get the main jet and needle clip right.

Top Bottom