Just food for thought.. 95+ top end on 89-94 bottom end?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I have read a couple random posts that suggest you can fit the top end from a 95+ 200/220 on the E series KDX bottom end. Can anyone verify this? I just found it interesting...

I suppose some benefits would be the ability to overbore and the newer kips design.

J.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I don't see how the power valve actuation gear is going to work with it, as it is completely different. I don't think that will work.

The 1995+ cylinders can be sent to a replating shop where they will chemically strip off the old plating, bore out the cylinder and replate to a new size. Eric Gorr used to offer (might still offer it or know someone who will do it) a service to go up to 223cc from the stock 198cc (KDX200) or 216cc (KDX220R).

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Right. There are, without a doubt, overbore kits available for the 220. Regardless of what the manual says, it can and has been done many times. This can't be done on the E series models due to lack of clearance for the power valves. You simply can not go any larger on the bore without interfering with the valves operation.

I'm not sure on the KIPS activation. The governor in the case seems to be exactly the same. the only difference I can see looking at schematics is the top portion of the rod, and of course the entire mechanism up top. It seems like the parts in the bottom are the same. It actually looks like the actuating rod from the 220 would bolt into the older 200 just fine.

J.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Anyhoo, I was just tossing the idea around. I stumbled across a few posts indicating it could be done so I wondered if anyone had actually done it. If I come across a 95+ 200 jug complete I might give it a try. I could always sell it again if it doesn't fit...

J.

*edit*

check out these comparison pics between right hand engine case for a 93KDX200 and an '01 KDX220. The 220 case is up top.

Attachments

• 200_220_cases.jpg
    200_220_cases.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom