Just got back into riding. Would like some tips.

Gezza1982

Jun 26, 2006
Hi All,

I've just bought a 99 model RMX250. It's a great bike, nice and light, really powerful and responsive, however I haven't ridden for 7 years and would like some tips on how to ride properly. Anyway my first problem is riding with boots. They feel so akward! It's like I've got 2 kilo blocks of cement on each foot. My major problem is getting my foot under the gear lever. Because I've got no ankle movement, it's like I need to be sitting on the petrol cap to have my foot at the right angle to change up a gear. My friend says it's fine though. Are you meant to be right up the front of the bike when you change gears? Also I was accelerating really hard on a smooth bit of track and the front end was shaking about like crazy. Are there any techniques to stop this? Would much appreciate any help :cool:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
You'll get used to the boots in no time. If they're new, it can take a few rides.

You should sit close to the tank, but not on it. Keep in mind if you're riding MX you really should only be sitting once you're into a turn.

When you're accelerating hard, stand up, bend slightly at the knees and squeeze the bike with your legs. Get your head out over the bars so your body makes an "L" shape. Your elbows should be up. If you do all that and it still shakes bad, you may have a suspension problem (or need your suspension tuned).

Gezza1982

Jun 26, 2006
Hmm yeah I might adjust the gear lever so it's a bit easier to get under with my boots. I don't ride motocross, but I ride through some pretty rough bush. Didn't know about the always being off the seat thing :whoa: I feel like if I accelerated hard on this bike while standing, I'd come off the back really easy. It pretty much lifts the front wheel on command in any gear, but will definatly give that a try. I guess you have to lean into the acceleration.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Yes, it does feel weird at first to accelerate while standing up. And this technique is perhaps more appropriate to Motocross where the track is rough.

To combat the problem you're talking about, of coming off the back while accelerating, that's why you have bend at the hips and lean forward, with your elbows bent. If you find the bike pulling so hard that your arms become straight, then chances are you didn't get far enough forward. This body position is imperative for reducing fatigue and arm pump as it allows your back, shoulders and chest to help (it will also help keep the front of the bike weighted so the lifting in the front you mentioned doesn't get out of hand).

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
here's a picture of Millsaps in the air but in the position I was talking about (he maybe a tad further forward since he's in the air and trying to keep the front end down, but you can get the idea). Do a search for pics and look at the top riders position in the straight aways. Sometimes they'll cheat and sit down to preserve energy (if the track is smooth enough) but even then they're pretty far foward.

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...hoto=0E1Q001Q000076&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

and here's a video, look at his position right after he lands from the first jump and accelerates into the 2nd one.

http://www.davimx.com/video/daviatmuddycreek.wmv

Gezza1982

Jun 26, 2006
They're some great tips. Thanks for that. My bike has pretty soft suspension, so I'm tempted to sit a lot of the time. I rode a WR426 a little while ago and was forced to stand just to stop the bike kicking me in the butt! It's really exhausting having to stand for every little bump, so I think I prefer my suspension for now. Don't want to get into bad habits though. I've read that RMX's have a very agressive steering angle, which is great for quick turning, but not so good for headshake. Sounds like I'm not the only one to have that issue. I guess if it becomes too much of an issue I can get a steering dampener.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah, it's definitely a catch 22. If you stand up too much you will get more tired. But on the other hand if you don't do it enough, you won't be able to handle it when you need to. One of our instructors who used to be on a pro team told us he would ride for 35 minutes standing up the whole time on a beat up track for conditioning before the outdoor mx series. I'd need CPR if I did a 35 minute motto standing up!

Top Bottom