Just got my new 300EXC! Did I get jipped?

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
I traded in my '99 KDX200 a couple of weeks ago for a 2002 300EXC. I have been drooling over the 300's for a year or so now and finally broke down and got one. I love the bike and can't believe the difference in quality and performance coming off the KDX. I spent a fortune on the green machine to get it race ready and it still doesn't compare to watch you get stock from the KTM. Don't get me wrong I loved my KDX and was said to leave it behind but it didn't take me long to get over it when I finally got to ride my 300 last Sunday. I have only one concern with my purchase. When I went to buy the bike I thought that the promotion for th 300 EXC and MXC meant I would get 6.99% financing. Well after spending 3 hours farting :silly: around with the salesman to get the price where I wanted it, I went to sign the financing crap only to find out that the promotion wasn't real. I almost put the KDX back in the trailer and headed to the house. The financing chick told me that KTM had changed financing people and that promotion didn't exist anymore :think: . I showed her all of the flyers they had up in there showroom and she immediately tore them down. Do you think I got the shaft? I went to the KTM website and they still have the promotion there. This has kind of tanted my whole KTM purchase. I love my 300 but hate the feeling of getting the shaft. Thanks for any feedback. I am glad to be on the orange side finally.

Grant D.

B

biglou

I think you got taken, my man. I wish you could have checked the dates on those promotional posters that were up. A good dealer is everything, IMO. Gotta be able to trust the folks you buy from. If they don't appreciate your spending mucho dinero there, it ain't worth it at any cost. Here's what my dealer did for me: Take delivery by June 30th, 2001 and get a free set of Michelin M12's! I picked mine up on July 3rd. He backdated my paperwork to June 30th. :D That's service! Places like that gain my respect and deserve my business.

All just IMHO, of course.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The KTM page says the promotion is good until 08/31/02, but is for 2 year loans on $5,000+ purchases. If you opted for a longer term loan or didn't meet their approval standards, you can't expect to get the low rate.

The good news is on short term loans a few percentage points doesn't effect the payment that much. Not saying you should let them slide, but on a $5,000 balance over 2 years the difference in payment between 6.99% and 9% is $4.58 per month, or $110 over the life of the loan.

See if they will give you some credit for parts/goodies.

ktm_man

Aug 15, 2000
I do think you have a legitimate gripe... However... I wouldn't worry about looking back and getting worked up over it. Enjoy the bike and let it be. The total difference is probably about 15 cents/day. For example if you borrow $5,000 @ 6.99% for 36 months your monthly payment would be $154.36 vs $159 if interest rate is 9%. I know it's easy to get steamed up about these things (because I get pissed too sometimes) but don't let this spoil the fun of having a new bike and what is turning out to be a good move for you.

Enjoy!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by ktm_man
I do think you have a legitimate gripe... However... I wouldn't worry about looking back and getting worked up over it. Enjoy the bike and let it be. The total difference is probably about 15 cents/day. For example if you borrow $5,000 @ 6.99% for 36 months your monthly payment would be $154.36 vs $159 if interest rate is 9%. I know it's easy to get steamed up about these things (because I get pissed too sometimes) but don't let this spoil the fun of having a new bike and what is turning out to be a good move for you.

Enjoy!

I agree but I would find a new dealler and I would go tell the selling dealler that they would NOT have my business or the business of anyone (hopfully)I spoke to.

Enjoy the bike it is yours and not MINE :( !

Cheers

Kevin

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Sounds like the ol' bait and switch. Take it up with the owner and let him/her know how you feel. If you can't resolve it there, take it up with the BBB and see where it goes.

Because it is a motor vehicle, reserch into the state codes on this as well. We just had a Jeep dealer here in San Diego pull a similar scam on one of the active duty Marines. They are being taken care of now by the state and last word I had on it was that they were looking at a 30 day suspension of their sales licenses. The states do take it seriously so don't give up until YOU are satisfied!

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
THanks for the feedback! I am so excited to finally get my 300 that I really hate to dwell on anything negative about the dealer. I had a feeling that I shouldn't have gone there but certain circumstances (travel and time) caused me to go there. By the time I found out I wasn't going to get the 6.99 I was so ready to get out of there with the 300 in the trailer I just let it go. I do think that I will call the sales manager today and express my feelings about the deal. I was thinking along the same idea that ktm_man expressed about the difference in money. I done a 2 year loan so it won't be that much.
So with all that aside, I am just going to ride the heck out of my new 300 and love every minute of it.
Thanks,
Grant

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I got into the same type of situation with Ski-Doo. The dealer tried to tell me the promotion wasn't good on trade ins, just good on straight up buys on the Bombardier Credit Card. I went home and called another dealer half way across the state, they said "come on down, we won't do you that way, the offer is good no matter what."

Some dealers just can't be trusted. :|

ktmatk

Apr 7, 2002
I just bought a new 300 too and also wanted that financing and also had trouble. I have been told from several sources that that financing was through Conseco and that there had been a lot of trouble with them and that as of the dealer show they were switching financing companies, so maybe your dealer knew it was coming and didn't want to fool with them. In my case, I called the day before and was told it would take an hour to run an application - 16 hours later had no answer ( Conseco told them their computers were down ). I also had a time window to get this done and opted for alternate financing. I don't blame the dealer because I had already heard about this before I was shopping for a bike.

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
Well at least I don't feel as bad now. That is the same story that the financing chick told me so I guess she was really on the up and up. I got to thinking about the whole financing thing yesterday and I starting kicking myself in the butt. I could've paid for the bike with my Capital One card for 4.9% financing and would've been out of there in no time. I am going to pay off the bike with my Capital One as soon as possible.

CrazyTed

Jul 26, 1999
Yup, I know my local dealer really well. The people at Conseco were useless. They wouldn't approve hardly anyone and then when they would, it wouldn't be for the right rates. Their customer service also sucked. KTM has a new funance company but only a few special deals right now. I ended up with private financing... then will go to my credit card for 0%for six months,,,,

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
Avoid Conseco, they are in receivership, aka almost bankrupt, they have been delisted from the NYSE (stock market exchange).

Top Bottom