KDX 200 , clutch basket tight to go on

Billpro785

May 2, 2009
when trying to install the clutch basket on my 94 200 KDX, the basket is very hard to side on. binding on the flywheel to primary crank gear. When I do tap it on , the motor is Very Hard to turn over ( no chain on ) yet with basket off spins easy. Out round crank ? There is no play between the gears .
Thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I don't follow. Sounds like you have something not in the correct order. Are you following a shop manual? It does become a bit harder to turn the engine over once the basket is in, because the connection to the tranny gears is now in place. Without the clutch basket all you're turning is the crank and moving the piston.

Billpro785

May 2, 2009
Yea, followed the shop manual , little history , cracked a piston , new cylinder , and piston , that is I'm thinking maybe the crank is out of round . there is no space between the flywheel , and primary gears , very tight fit
Thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Flywheel is on the opposite side of the crank. I'm guessing in this instance you are referring to flywheel as the gear on the back of the clutch basket? Make sure you have the washer behind the basket. Like I said, it is harder to turn the engine over with basket installed, and there should not be very much clearance between the gears. It seems to me if it was out of true, you'd have tight fit on one side, and a gap between the teeth when you turn it 180 degrees.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
On my 95, if you don't have the right washer back behind the clutch basket as a spacer, bolts in the case will groove the clutch basket as it turns over.

I guess since that is the case, a bent crank could cause the same problem even with the right washer in place.

I got a run out gauge from Harbor Freight for $39 or something. You could use that to check for crank run out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom