spestis

Jan 1, 2009
I just purchased a 1986 KDX 200. I’m currently working on getting a spark to the bike. It looks like the previous owner messed with the coils in the stator. I would think the smaller coil would be used for lights, while the larger would power the ignition. Is it normal to have the coils setup in series? Does the coils direction matter?

Attachments

• kdx.jpg
    kdx.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,170

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
does not look right to me there should be a few more wires, the coils on top should be 2 seperate coils, stacked, one for ignition and a thin one for the exciter (tells the cdi to give spark) the one on the bottom is for the lighting.
do you have the flywheel?

spestis

Jan 1, 2009
I do have the flywheel. One of the magnets edges is chipped off; I’m assuming this is not a major issue. Is it a smart idea to add some extra epoxy while I have the flywheel off? Will the Tecate 3 & 4 Flywheel fit if this one takes a crap?

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
it has been said they do fit and yes prob. best to clean up and add some epoxy. if the chiped magnet is the one the crank key lines up with it may effect the spark

podfish

May 14, 2007
I also have an '86 and you're right - someone did something wacky with the wiring. They had some method to their madness, so I suppose it maybe COULD have worked. Did they do something equally unorthodox with the CDI??
anyway, you can get an igniter coil for about $40 at RickyStator. If you want lighting, you maybe can resurrect one of yours or get the lighting coil from Ricky's too.

podfish

May 14, 2007
stator.jpg
[/IMG]
here's what the 86 should look like (except for the gouges in the lighting coil causes by too-long bolts on the rotor removal tool! :yikes: )

spestis

Jan 1, 2009
podfish, thanks for posting an image of your setup. Does your top coil (ignition coil) have two coils stacked on top of each other? My bikes VIN number states it is a 1986 however it has 3 wires coming off the magneto. Looking at the schematics the 1986 magneto has 4 wires and the 1987 has 3 wires. My guess is pre ‘86 used 2 coils to create a spark; one for ignition power and the other to trigger the spark. In ‘87 I think they swapped over to one coil. My bike may have been a late ‘86 and received the ‘87 magneto and CDI. If the previous owner purchased an ‘86 replacement coil that could explain why the CDI does not fire. I have ordered a ‘87 Ricky Stator coil to see if this resolves the problem. The ignition coil in my bike now is 178 ohm. The new Ricky Stator coil will be ~60 ohm. What is the ohm rating of your ignition coil?

Attachments

• kdx2.jpg
    kdx2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 8,115

podfish

May 14, 2007
sorry- mine's all bolted back together so we're relying on my memory. It's a C1, and does seem to be the four-wire. But I don't recall seeing four wires at the magneto plate. There's one R/W from the ignition/exciter stator, and the yellow one from the light coil. I know there's a wire coming out of the harness that ends in a grounding eyelet, on the back of the magneto plate. I don't have any idea where the fourth one must come from. There's a three-wire connector at the end of the harness that connects to the CDI's harness. The stator's about 57 ohm.
If you can't find out any other way, get back to me and I'll at least pull the seat & tank and check the wires.

Top Bottom