J.A. Daniels

Jan 2, 2003
I just bought my 7 yr old son a KDX 50 for Xmas. We took it out riding two days later and realized it would not pull his weight (approx 55lbs slim). Needless to say, here we were at the trail head with the exhaust system fully removed pulling out restrictors, I also had to backout the throttle stop all the way. I then realized the dealership had not included the 5x5mm throttle screw with the bike.
I cant really complain too much because this is my sons first bike, and i want him to learn the basics, but suzuki/kawasaki could do better with how they have this thing powered. Also, after reading numerous other post on the net, I have found conflicting remarks reguarding to the restrictors. Numerous sites talk of two restrictors in the exahust system, them being on both ends. Yet the owners manual does not refer to the such. As a whole the build quality is good and it has really good looks.

RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
Do you have any possiblility of returning it to the dealer ? I would say that "Santa" messed up and I would go get him a XR50. My daughter was riding a JR50 (KX50) when she was 3 . Santa brought her a xr50r and she TOTALLY loves it. I thought when I bought the first one (JR) that it didn't have gears so that was better. But actually on the XR they want to use the gears aftt awhile and honestly it isn't a big deal. Actually with her weight (50 LBS) at 7 years old now , if she messes up and takes off in 2 or 3rd it will still pull her.
And the BEST kicker is that it makes a great play bike , because when I am tuning it. I can actually go out and ride it to see that it is running right. The JR wouldn't pull me.

Just my .02 I have been there.
Raz

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you can do the same 2 speed upgrade on the kdx as the jr. there is a hidden 1st gear on the bike down from nuetral. just the shifter shaft slot needs to be elongated. they did this to comply with the 1 speed limit in AMA class 3 racing. That will at least give you more pull from a start.
Only one limiter I know of.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
If you pop the right side panel down, you can see the smallish nontapered intake hole in a black canister. I was TOLD that you can open that up. The exhaust header tube restrictor is ridiculous--what, maybe 3mm? 4mm? Who knows? How it even runs with that thing in there is beyond me.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
you can also punch out the plate in the silencer . the first gear mod adds a lot more pull. i can get going on it at 175lbs. apparently there are 2 pilot jets in the carb , has anyone heard about jetting this bike. all it does is spooge.

Top Bottom