justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
KX 60 Spitting cases

My youngest son siezed(??) his brothers KX 60 Saturday. When I tried to kick the bike it wouldn't turn over. After some penetrating oil and more kicking it started turning over and actually will start. It had compression but when you ran it there was a horribled metal clanging sound and it had no power. I figured that it the problem was the bottom end.
I tore apart the bike this afternoon. the topend was fine. I started the proccess of tearing the bottom end apart. I have the motor off the bike, the cylinder off, the flywheel off.
The question I have is to split the cases do I have to take the clutch apart. I have new plates coming and am going to replace them during this tear down But would rather wait till I have the motor back together. Also, there is a nut that appears to be on the end of the crank shaft (beside the clutch basket) the shaft has a slot in it. I have been unable to loosen the nut. I assume the nut has to come off. How do I accomplish this?? Any thing else I need to know before I proceed?

Last edited:

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
I just finished reading how to rebuild a lower end on Eric's site. I think you will find a lot of answers there. Do you have a MX track?

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Not yet. I worked on it Saturday. Added a liitle. Still not done. It'll never be like what you've got in Enid. :(

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I'll be there, we'll find 'em and try to follow them. They are pretty grown up and not marked. My kinda riding. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
justgl.

If all you need to do is remove the crankshaft, you can remove the left side case and leave the entire gearbox assembly, clutch, etc, untouched. When you remove the case, take some tape and tape the gears on the gearshafts to keep them from falling off. Also, pay close attention to the thrust washers on the gear shafts.

That nut you are refering to does have to come off. I made a special socket to remove the crank nut on my grandsons KX60. If you have a dealer in your area he may spin this nut off for you for a small charge. You will want to do this before taking the clutch apart.

Just my $.02

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If I remember correctly, (which is highly unlikey,) it is a standard thread. But, you may want to take a good look at the threads on the very end of the crank, sticking out of the nut to be sure. :confused:

Top Bottom