captbly99

May 30, 2005
OK, I have owned my KDX since '96, bought it from a guy going thru a divorce, he couldn't get the title from the soon to be ex wifey. So, hand written bill of sale did the trick, which has been fine until now. Hubby and I want to ride the Six Days of MI and we need tag, reg, & insurance. BUMMER!
Any idea on knowing if I can get a title for it and then possibly a tag. I heard in Vermont tags off road bikes. Not 100%.
Anybody have any ideas. I sure could use them :nod:
I am from GA. Probably not much of chance of getting a tag here.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Title shouldn't be too hard, just apply for lost title, a police officer will come check the vin number and verify it's not stolen.

As for plating it, I too heard of the Vermont thing. I been in GA a whole 2 1/2 weeks now, and the local Statesboro Honda dealer said it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a bike licensed here. He said his brother and himself both tagged their CRF250X's by going through Vermont. He told me if you goto any enduro or harescramble around here that 90% of the bikes will have Vermont plates.

Anyone know anything about transfering plates? I'm moving here for good in a month. The guy I talked to said there is no way in hell I'll get a GA plate for my KDX. I have it all licensed and legal in Michigan, and the title simply says its a road legal motorcycle, like any Harley, CBR, Goldwing, etc title says. But he told me they will never give my bike a plate here, even though they don't even need to see it register it in this state. If this is the truth than I'll leave damn Michigan plates on all my crap till I'm told otherwise.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
As long as you keep renewing your plate regestration in Mi. I can see no reason why you would
have to transfer to Ga. You might want to change the reg. address to your G.P's farm and your mailing adress to Ga. This would hopefully eliminate any compliancy woes. Try to stay off the interstate with it and you should be ok. Do they like us yankees down there?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Well accoring to Georgia's government website I have to change my license and vehicle registrations over to GA stuff within 30 days. I'll probably just leave it as a Michigan plate. I'm supposed to be here for 3 years, but with this company that might turn into 6 months.

And there's no way I'm going on an interstate with the KDX. It sounds like it wants to blow up at 60 mph, let alone 70+ (it will do it, but I sure wouldn't wan to go more than a mile at that speed).

So far no one has hated me for being from the north. Had more than a few people comment about my "accent". They're the ones that talk funny, not me!

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
The problem w/ keeping your out of state plate registration is that eventually you have to renew your drivers license in your current state. If for any reason, you do get stopped, it will be difficult to explain that out of state registration w/ an in-state drivers license.
Unless you are in the military and then you just show your military i.d. (in that case, legally you don't have to change your drivers license and out of state registration). One of our friends has gotten away with riding by keeping the out of state license/plate and stating they are "just visiting here" or "just moved here less than a week ago" By law, each state has to give you a grace period before you can be ticketed (most states give 30 days).

ridejunky said:
As long as you keep renewing your plate regestration in Mi. I can see no reason why you would
have to transfer to Ga. You might want to change the reg. address to your G.P's farm and your mailing adress to Ga. This would hopefully eliminate any compliancy woes. Try to stay off the interstate with it and you should be ok. Do they like us yankees down there?

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
By having the bike regestered at a legit adress in Mi (i.e. Grandparents) this can be your secondary
adress. Many Snowbirds live in N.J, Chicago, Detroit, etc. and have a winter home in florida and
dont change their plates, also many Illinoians register their snowmobiles and boats in WI.& Mi. w.o
living there. By the way, the riding on the interstate thing was just tongue and cheek I'm not crazy yet, just working on it.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Well I talked to some guys at another dealer today and they said it's easy as can be to register a bike there as long as it was plated before. I think that's what I am going to try for, and if they don't like it, I'll keep my Michigan tags.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for the original poster?

Top Bottom