KDX200/220 vs. KLX300 ~ Best woods bike for michigan single track

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
I'm thinking of getting off the DRZ as my primary off road machine. It's a good bike and very capable in the right hands. Unfortunately, MINE are not the right hands. I'm a mediocre rider at best. but I really think that my ability (or lack of) is hindered by my particular bikes shortcomings. It's Big, it's heavy, it's way more bike than I need in the nasty ass whooped out singletrack I ride. it's a good commuter, and a very good dual sport, and does very well in more open trails. But when you go down 35 miles of whooped out trail (most of it less the 30" wide) and have to bounce it off of every tree on it. you start to feel like a pin ball. the guys I ride with tend to cut down their bars and alot of em ride small light weight bikes that (to me) feel like moutain bikes with motors. I've shaved a ton of weight off my DRZ, but I still need a lighter smaller bike. I'm not much of a two stroke guy (I'm not one to wanna have to ride the pipe) but as I understand it, this isn't the case with the KDX220. but the KLX300 is a thumper and looks like a better package. I know alot of you guys have these things since I always see tons of them at the rides. I want a good torquey motor that is vitually maitenence free and good suspension.

So, what's the best bet? :think:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Neither bike will be a good choice for riding sand whoops but the KDX will be better than the KLX because the lighter weight and snappier power, IMO.

They both have a shorter wheel base which makes them handle great in the real tight stuff but it also hurts their stability at higher speeds and in the sand.

My son's KDX has had the Racetech treatment front and rear but it will never be a YZF, WRF, or EXC in the whoops.

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
didnt you like dons crf250x or wasnt that what your looking for, but if you want more torque go with the 450x. those that from what i have see are the fastest in the tight stuff such as trevor and his buddy are running the 200 or is it a 250 now sx or mxc or exc bikes. i think ktm still has the 400 exc. ill have to let you try my crf450r, now i know you didnt like my 426's suspension because it was rock hard, but thats just because it was still set up for a motox track, once i softend it up it was a huge difference from what you tried, and my honda is a good leap from the 426's to.

id say the klx, and the kdx are still to close to your drz in what they have to offer, in powr weight, handling, id go even further. its also still saddle time to just riding and learning.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
Godzuki said:
didnt you like dons crf250x or wasnt that what your looking for, but if you want more torque go with the 450x. those that from what i have see are the fastest in the tight stuff such as trevor and his buddy are running the 200 or is it a 250 now sx or mxc or exc bikes. i think ktm still has the 400 exc. ill have to let you try my crf450r, now i know you didnt like my 426's suspension because it was rock hard, but thats just because it was still set up for a motox track, once i softend it up it was a huge difference from what you tried, and my honda is a good leap from the 426's to.

id say the klx, and the kdx are still to close to your drz in what they have to offer, in powr weight, handling, id go even further. its also still saddle time to just riding and learning.
weight wise... the KDX is 222lbs, the KLX is 231lbs., and my "lightened" DRZ is a svelte 280lbs. :yikes: power wise... I dont think anything will grunt like "the tractor" but, I dont use all that bike has now. I really dont need MORE. I need compact, light, nimble, low maintenance and TOUGH. I'm not looking to race and so a Katoom is out, way priceyer(?word?) than I want. Dons bike is nice... but I want CHEAP and I want light. If it didnt cost so freaking much I'd just get the Service Honda CRF250XJR...Now thats a MI woods bike if ever there was one. :ride: :laugh:

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
i think the hard part will be getting one of those 2 with good suspension. id say the kdx has a larger aftermarket for goodies, and if i had to pick from those 2 i probably do the kdx. i still think you will want more from the bike, but if your going cheap then that may be a problem. what about a 250 smoker moto crosser those are plentyfull and pretty cheap to.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
thats the one reason I'm leaning away from the KDX...Smoker maintenance scares me.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Wolf Child said:
thats the one reason I'm leaning away from the KDX...Smoker maintenance scares me.

Cost of ownership for a KDX is as cheap as it gets. Stick a Wiseco kit in it every couple years and clean the power valves. Otherwise, just change the oil and clean the air filter.

The only bike that may compare from a cost standpoint is an XR250/400.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
I want a freakin mountain bike with a motor.....thats what i want. Maybe I'll just start riding speed bump's XR80

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
I rode a KLX before I bought my KDX 220.On the plus side the KLX handles good and has Inverted forks. On the minus side the KLX is so mildly tuned that it just wasn't exciting to ride. The KDX 220 dosn't have an abrupt power hit like most two srokes do, but still has enough power to blast through the loose sand. I am extremely pleased with the way this bike runs. The KDX 220 does not feel heavy on the trails, but when I jump it, or do steep hill climbs it does feel heavy. I figure It must weigh about 250 lbs. with a full tank of gas.

Mine is a 1999 model and engine has never been apart.The only maintenance I have done to mine is clean air filter, lube the chain, and change transmission oil. I estimate my bike has about 2,000 miles on it.

By the way has anyone else noticed on the Kawasaki web site that they introduced new 250? Looks like the KLX300 with street legal gear on it.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Wolfy I think you would really like the KDX220. I know your a thumper guy and are scared of 2-stroke mainenantce. But the KDX isn't your typical 2-stroke. It dosn't need a new top end every year. We had a 89 kdx200 and just replaced the piston in it like 2 years ago before we sold it. And even then it was still running fine.

As for pipy 2-stroke power thats not a kdx. They are smooth. They may almost seem dull at times but they are more than capable in the woods. As long as you keep it percolating along it will get ya thru the woods as fast as you dare go. And if you have some spare $ send some of the parts to Ferdette. He can make that an amazing bike for less than a KTM would cost you

They are a short wheelbase bike. Shorter than my X. And as such are a little hard to ride in the woops some times. But still worlds better than your DRZ.

Another bonus I know you have seen is that you can pick up used KDX's cheep. Like under $2000 easily.

Tell ya what. Next time we ride I will see if I can arange to get my old 89 kdx200 back. Its not nearly as nice or light as the new kdx's but the motor is very similar to what they are about. My brother in law has it and rarely rides it. I could borrow it if ya want to try it out. Its just down the road from you in Grand Rapids.

You really dont want that KLX 300. I rode one some time back and that thing was a pig. I was sooo happy to get off that thing.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
"Mountain bike with a motor". Um yeah. You've said everything but the correct three letter phrase.
KTM
Smoke or no smoke there is NOTHING beating KTM in the woods right now.

Don't believe us? Go pull pictures from any enduro that has more than one tree in the picture.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yea but can he get a KTM cheep like under $2000. I think that is where he is heading with this. Something very affordable but fun in the woods. There is no denying that KTMs rule the woods right now. Its just that they are sooo expensive.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Wolf Child said:
Hee hee hee that's funny. About $120 for pistion/rings every few years is about all a 2T motor needs. The new breeds of high performancce 4Ts are not better. KTM 4T oil changes plain suck - worse than 2T maintenance. The XRs of old ran forever without maitenance because they were so detuned. Just get the bike you want. Maintenance is really not a big issue for any of them.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I say KDX. I've owned 2 and ridden 2 KLX's before, which were big, mellow, hard-to-start-when-hot lumps compared to the KDX.

KDX's are pretty bullet proof. Leave it stock or with mild bolt on's and it'll last almost forever. My 220 has just about everything possible done to it (porting, reshaped head, big carb, pipe, reeds, blah blah blah) and has probably at least 100 hours on it this season. I'll change the piston/rings/reeds and be ready for another season of racing, trails, and road riding (dual sported it). I know guys with 5-8 year old KDX's still running stock pistons. Of course, they ride a lot less than me as well.

Stock to stock a KDX 200 is faster than the 220. The 220 has a smaller carb and more low-end oriented porting. It rides just like a 4 stroke. You can lug it down to nothing in 3rd, hit the gas and just chug away. Doesn't rev much for a 2 stroker. Aftermarket for these bikes is huge, just look down at the KDX section here to get an idea.

All that being said, neither the KDX or KLX is a whoop eater. I've reworked the front end of my bike and have the back set as good as it gets without a revalve, it kicks my butt in the whoops. I can tackle whooped sections unbelievably faster on my friend's 125's and 250's than on my bike. The KDX is more at home on tighter trails, like Muskrat Lake, Big Bear Lake, Sandtown etc. I was actually going to get a motorcrosser this winter so the wide trails would be more fun next season. Now I found out I am getting relocated to Georgia, so I'll have to wait and see what kind of trails they have to offer there.

You want a mountain bike with a motor? www.fxbikes.com
You could get a KTM for the cost of one of those things though.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well here's my take on this thread..
I have rode with fassssssst guys that ARE fast on anything they ride. I know a guy that SCREAMS thru the tightest nastiest stuff imaginable on a CRF450 but only drops (if he does drop at all) slightly on his XR650 BRP.
That being said, be super careful what ever you get, take some time on it to get used to it. Really, like Badger said, its all about seat time.. Of course he rides a CHEATER YZF that doubles whoops while its standing still - NICE BIKE!!
Concerning 2 smoke maintenance to 4 stroke. Run a properly jetted/maintained (airfilter, consistency in oil mix AND good seal on pipe/jug) 2 stroke and it WILL save you big bucks over the expenses of running a "Formula 1" 4 stroke - not to be confused with the good ol tanker XR's/XT's/DR's and KLX's of yesteryear. BUT, those new fourstrokes are a RIOT!!!!!!!!!! I think the secret of the true costs of the newbreeds is out.. They are not an inexpensive bike to maintain.. IMHO, some of those costs can be differed by staying off the rev limiter and, of course, MAINTENANCE.
I would stay away from the KLX's. They tend to have tranny issues, are VERY pig headed starters AND the little KDX is way more bike for the bang.. If your stuck on KDX's thats cool. GREAT fun in the woods but you mentioned whoopen whoops - naw :| They just were not made for whoopin..
Sooooooo, what would Woodsy do if Woodsy were you.. Well, I have ridden lots of lots of the new bikes and LOVE them all. I am with you on the Katoom priceyness.. Bluntley, not all of us can toss the cash for one... Too bad too cause they are NICE!! I rode a new EXC300 recently and, aahhhhhh, I almost didnt go back to the parking lot.. Of course I have had the same "sticky finger feeling" about most of the new breed bikes I have ridden too..
Anyway, toss all my knowledge :rotfl: into a hat with everything mentioned and I would come riding out with a CLEAN STOCK 97 or newer YZ250 2 stroker.. Yeppers, FLY thru the whoops. boingers that actually rock stock, motor that pulls and pulls AND, because they are a 2 stroke (nobody wants a old two stroke motocrosser anymore) they CAN be had CHEAP!!!
I would then save up and buy a flywheel weight, lighting coil, over size tank, lights, heated grips, hand guards, pro circuit spark arrestor for the STOCK pipe and a kickstand. Spend a few hours getting my floaat height and jetting SPOT ON so it doesnt foul plugs or sieze. THEN I would RIDE that puppy till the wheels fall off it. Oh yea, get it street legaled for REAL fun.
Now if you wanna talk about the perfect CHEAP as heck rocket ship ya gotta try a KX500. IMHO, it is truely the poor mans CRF450 and then some.......
Oh yea, you really should double check the ACTUAL weights on those bikes.. You will find, like I have, that the manufactures LIE like heck about actual weights. Weigh them - you will be SHOCKED!! :think:
Well, thats my opinion. I will send you the 50 cents to go with it so you can go get the perverbial cup of coffee ;)
Woodsy :ride:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
YZMAN400 said:
Yea but can he get a KTM cheep like under $2000.

Um yup. Nothing expensive about the orange machines. Especially when you consider that you don't need to add "all the crap" that one normally does on a Jap bike.

00-02 200 exc can be found used for under 2K if you look a bit.

SGJ_Johansen

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 28, 2004
Hmmm......I know a guy that gets through the woods and whoops pretty good on his 01 DRZ :) IMHO the motor on the DRZ is the most friendly motor going. I have a couple of TF under my belt with the DRZ. Yes I have issues in the whoops with it too. But as a fireroading bike or DS its hard to beat (sorry woodsy) But when its time to play with the big boys I bring the KTM.

Good luck with the choice if your going Green then get the KDX.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom