KDX220 US pricing / newbie questions

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
Hi there. New to the world of dirt biking but long time street/dual-sport/track-day rider.

Want a 2stroke but zero experience with them. Strongly looking at a KDX220. Heard it's forgiving of newbies.

1) Pricing. CycleTrader just seems to be dealer ads. I found one locally I'm going to look at (Oregon) which is a 98, low hours for $2100 with minimal extras (trail computer, taper bars, newish tires). This seems expensive to me, I was thinking $1800 was more in line for a 98 but this is totally gut feeling. Anyone offer any advice?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on KDX specific things to check when evaluating a used bike. Obviously wheel/steering bearings, looking for damage etc.

I have a compression tester and am familiar with using it on e-start 4-strokes but unsure of the procedure for kick-start 2 strokes. Just remove plug and kick? Also, what is the correct compression range.

Thanks

Tony
Portland, Oregon

dcg9381

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2004
Pricing on dirt bikes seems to vary quite a bit, especially with a model like the KDX which hasn't changed for years. It seems (in my opinion) to be a function of extras, how well setup it is, how well maintained it is, and cosmetics...

I sold a 97 for $1700 within 6 months.
I've bought on 02 for $1200 that still had original tires.. It's rear fender had been replaced, no motor work, needs chain / sprocket / tubes & tires.
I'd expect to pay ~$2k for bikes that are about 5 years old.. Watch **** also for reference (non reserve auctions).

I check compression on jetskis also, but I've never done it on a dirt bike... I dunno why it's not typically used.

Things to watch for:
general cosmetics - how clean is it?
Original plastics?
Get the front wheel off the ground, check the bearings on the wheel and headset.
Rear bearings.
Ride it through all the gears.
Should start VERY easily, even when cold.
No bogs lag, etc.
Ask about top ends. They should have receipts or be able to tell you how to do it.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
So $2100 for a 1998 with minimal extras would be overpriced, as I suspected.

I think the plastics are original but it has new graphics, but that seems a fairly common customization.

Still, if you can get a 2002 for $1200, it's hard to gauge a price :)

Can you clarify the comment about "top ends"?

Tony

GS

Jun 29, 2003
Tony,
Compression check....from the manual:

Thoroughly warm engine
Shut off fuel
Wide open throttle
Kick "sharply" several times, in order to get the highest possible reading
Acceptable range is from 95 - 151 PSI
Greg

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
Actually, sounds like it's got a FMF Gnarly pipe/header and FMF Turbine silcencer. Plus rejetted. I'd prefer it was just stock (as a newbie), but maybe this justifies the $2100 asking price. Stock parts included.

I'd definately prefer the stock silencer as I hate loud pipes. Not sure how much louder the Turbine is than stock.

No top end work. 2nd owner. Added ~20 hours. When purchased from 1st owner, still had original tires.

dcg9381

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2004
crazybrit said:
Actually, sounds like it's got a FMF Gnarly pipe/header and FMF Turbine silcencer. Plus rejetted. I'd prefer it was just stock (as a newbie), but maybe this justifies the $2100 asking price. Stock parts included.

I'd definately prefer the stock silencer as I hate loud pipes. Not sure how much louder the Turbine is than stock.

No top end work. 2nd owner. Added ~20 hours. When purchased from 1st owner, still had original tires.

A header and silencer are worth about 50% of their new price if they're in good shape. If he's got the jetting worked out then he's done some labor..

Check those bearings, ask about when the fork oil has been changed - older bikes tend to get "loose" if not well maintained.

95-150 psi.. That's a 50% difference, probably why most people don't check.

Top Bottom