NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm thinking of getting a full-suspension mountain bike and would appreciate some input from KDX people (my kind a' people, basically :cool: ).

I want to know:

1) does it work?

2) is it reliable or am I going to be rebuilding shocks/forks every other ride?

3) disc brakes- see above.

I ride all-around, just like my KDX- I do some of this, some of that, nothing extreme or radical (42 years of age, ya know). I'm looking at the Giant VT and NRS.

And I'm doing this to stay in shape so I can ride my KDX better. :yeehaw:

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
I took the last year off from riding my mountain bike so I'm kinda out of the loop with the current "what's in".....Look for a 4 bar rear suspension as oposed to a single pivot design. MOUNTAINBIKEREVIEW.com is a great place to find answers if your a newbie.. Disk brakes are a must. I've used both.Look for a "trail bike" (like your KDX) not a cross country racer or a downhill bike 4" front suspension and 4.5" rear is all you need IMHO. I ride a 2001 Cannondale Jekyli tean edition and a 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
forks and shocks are very dependable nowadays needing basic maintiance from time to time,most can be worked on yourself.Yes suspension does work.

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
The new MTN bike technology is awesome. Check out bikes with the Fox Float w/Brain or Pro-Pedal technology. This has an active valving in it that filters out the unwanted pedal induced "bob" and reacts to trail terrain changes only. The only additional Maintenance on these is limited to changing linkage bearings, bushings and shock oil - unfortunately rear shocks usually have to be serviced by the factory. Fronts can be done by self. Usually, you can get 500 - 1000 offroad miles before any sig. susp. serv. is needed. Depends on "riding style" and "terrain/conditions". I have ridden many of the these - the the following are all great models:
Trek Fuel
Specialized Epic
Santa Cruz Blurr
Intense Spider
Gary Fisher's
Jamis - Dakar Pro or Expert or any of the XLT series (greatest value)
Giant NRS

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Full suspension = :)

I ride a Trek 4900 hardtail. While out in Oregon this spring I rode my friend's Kona Coiler Deluxe, and another simular bike (can't remember model). If I could afford it I would have full suspension right now! It's awesome, maintance is minimal according to those guys, and it did I mention it's awesome? Even riding around town was much more comfortable because you don't pick up every little sidewalk irregularity or worry about hanging up on sharp curbs. That and dropping 7ft to concrete flat landing with no sore wrists is fun :). Full suspension made me feel like a better rider everywhere, although their bikes were downhill free-ride style, so they were heavy. But I could jump and bunny hop much higher inspite of the weight due to the ability to preload.

Full suspension is good. :)

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
I see that you live in New Mexico, but I have a '99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4 that I would sell for a pretty fair price, it is a full suspension bike, Rock Shox and all the bells and whistles, I really enjoyed riding the bike in my days of riding it. The bike is a little heavy compared to other bikes I have had (a Giant Iguana, and a Specialized Hard Rock, (both hard tails)) it is harder to wheelie and bunny hop, but they are its a tough bike and a good ride. My bike also has a damper for the rear suspension mounted on the handle bars, so say if you are doing a hill climb, you would not want a bunch of travel on the rear suspension because it would require more energy on your part. Good luck on your search. :cool:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Thanks for the information!! I'm not a newbie- I have a Gary Fisher Supercaliber hardtail with a Rock Shox on the front that I've been riding for almost 10 years. There's just, IMHO, a big difference in attitude between "bike people" and "motorcyle people". I read reviews on MTBR that say "my bike breaks every time I ride it and I've put $4,000 worth of replacement parts in it, but man, I luv this bike! It's awe-some". I absolutely do NOT want a bike like that!!! I deal with 2 ATV's, 3 dirt bikes, 2 Ford F250's, a backhoe, a Ford N9 tractor, 2 horse trailers, a feed trailier, and a Suburban, and when I'm ready for a bike ride, the last thing I want to do is fix something. Reliability is #1 in my book (thus "KDX200").

Info looks good. I'll be thinking.

Bronco- I'm really short and need a 16" frame.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
Jason, when I caught the BMX flu back in 1980 I wasn't able to find a cure..it got worse and started riding mountain bikes in1989 and dirtbikes in1996. I can't imagine not having and riding something with two wheels. It's like sex...ya can never get enough.

carney

Mar 17, 2004
NM_KDX - The VT and NRS are both great bikes. One of my buddies has a VT1 that he loves, and I am impressed at how well the suspension behaves on the climbs. That, and I watch him drop off of stuff that I will not, and it has never let him down. Great all-mountain bike, meaning it will do whatever you want, whenever you want. In my mind, it's the KDX of MTB's. Two other friends have NRS's, they lean toward the competitive end of the sport, but they have had them for a couple years and still praise them. Mr. Who, hit me up if you have any questions on that old True Temper bike, I have spent more time than I care to admit wrenching on bikes...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom