audisport12

Jun 19, 2008
Hey all, new to the site. I recently picked up a '02 TTR125 for a steal of a price.

Did a quick search and came up with no answers... Is there some sort of way I can wire up a key ignition (not electric start) so where my roomates/buddies/strangers can't hop on my bike and take off when I'm not around? I'm going to be living in a neigborhood next year where it's nothing but [drunk] college students :laugh: and I don't want others to be able to ride it.

Can it be done?
Thanks

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Our '05 TTR125LE came with a key switch.

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
i dont know for sure but i imagine you could go to a local canadian tire, home hardware, and pick up one. then you just have to wire it up.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
just pick up a cheapo key switch, radioshack sells em and also many older computers had em too. Then just wire it up to the kill wires so it shorts the kill switch wire to ground when off.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
audisport12 said:
Never thought about that. But that would be too time consuming if I just want to get off in a hurry (the bike).

It takes about two seconds to remove a disc lock, if you are in that big of a hurry, you are doing something you shouldn't. :whoa:

audisport12

Jun 19, 2008
ZOMBIE666 said:
just pick up a cheapo key switch, radioshack sells em and also many older computers had em too. Then just wire it up to the kill wires so it shorts the kill switch wire to ground when off.

Yeah I guess I didn't realize it would be that easy for some reason.

Rooster said:
It takes about two seconds to remove a disc lock, if you are in that big of a hurry, you are doing something you shouldn't. :whoa:

Meh, not really. I"ll just be riding around my neighborhood a lot, to and from my buddies houses and I wouldn't feel like locking it up all the time. Much easier to just turn a key.

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
If you don't have time to lock up your bike, you must have time to buy another one after it is stolen.

audisport12

Jun 19, 2008
Lock or key, it could still be taken the same as easily.
Besides, no one is going to steal the bike. There are too many 4 wheelers and other nicer dirtbikes in my neighborhood for someone to be wanting my little 125. Hell, I payed $250 for the damn thing. I aint worried about that. I just dont want my buddies riding it when I step away for a bit.

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
no one is going to steal the bike. There are too many 4 wheelers and other nicer dirtbikes in my neighborhood for someone to be wanting my little 125
and no one was going to attack the United States, there are too many other countries.

Get with it dude. I really don't care how you lock up your bike. It's your non chalant attitude that pisses me off. That bike isn't something until it's gone. People who leave their bike to get taken give bike theives incentive to try it again, since the last time wasn't so hard. I suggest you take pride in what you have and respect other peoples decision to give you advice.

Flame off Flame off.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Nice reply flea;

The bottom line is insurance, whether it be the actual coverage with an insurance provider, disc locks or cables, or a locked storage area. I have insurance on the bikes for theft, fire, and "act of God". When I put the bikes away, I lock the trailer, put a cable through all the frames and lock that to the floor of the trailer. It doesn't take much to get them ready for a day of riding. Four keys and away we go. It's not that much work, and I sleep better. Lock it up. K?

audisport12

Jun 19, 2008
flying flea said:
no one is going to steal the bike. There are too many 4 wheelers and other nicer dirtbikes in my neighborhood for someone to be wanting my little 125
and no one was going to attack the United States, there are too many other countries.

Get with it dude. I really don't care how you lock up your bike. It's your non chalant attitude that pisses me off. That bike isn't something until it's gone. People who leave their bike to get taken give bike theives incentive to try it again, since the last time wasn't so hard. I suggest you take pride in what you have and respect other peoples decision to give you advice.

Flame off Flame off.

I take plenty of pride in what I have. Take a look at my Audi and you would see.

I guess it just came off as me acting like I dont give two ****s about it. I work hard for my money and belongings and will guaran-damn-tee you this bike will not get stolen. I guess ya'll just don't get where I'm comming from and the situation. Anywho, it's really not that big of a deal. No reason to get pissed, "dude."

And believe me, I respect other peoples great advice. I threw a padlock on my disk brake the other day when I realized you could do that and have since used it.

Top Bottom