Kick Start Problems on 1991 KDX 200

Tom in NC

Nov 28, 2001
When I try to kick start my bike, the lever goes right to the bottom of the stroke. It feels like the ratchet gear is not engaging the kick gear. You can hear clicking when you try to kick start it. It sounds like the teeth of the ratchet gear are by-passing the teeth on the kick gear, and not making full engagement. I've replaced the ratchet gear, kick gear, idle gear, ratchet spring, and the kick spring. No luck, still have the same problems. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. I want to ride

Tom in NC

Nov 28, 2001
Thanks Zio. I replaced the spring mentioned in the thread with a brand new one. I guess the next thing to do is polish up the splines, as suggested. The wierd thing is, the gears work fine when the right engine case is off. As soon as I put the engine case back on, the kick start gears start slipping. I relaced the ratchet spring and the kick return spring and the problem would happen sporadically. This weekend I replace the ratchet get, the kick gear, and the idle gear and now the problem is worse. Let me know if you get yours fixed. I appreciate the help.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Mine is a bit different, different bike, too. It's more like an automotive starter that's beginning to go bad... you know- turn the key, "click", turn the key again, "click", turn it a third time & "vroom!". Sometimes it engages, sometimes it doesn't.

Tom in NC

Nov 28, 2001
My kickstarter used to do the same thing. I'd try to kick it over and the kick starter wouldn't catch. I'd try again and it wouldn't catch. I'd try for a third time and then it would catch. I thought I'd replace the gears and springs so I wouldn't get stranded on a trail and now its worse than ever. The kick starter never catches now.

R

rob,onfire

my kickstart was sliping bad till i used belray gear saver motorcycle transmission oil
SAE 75W now it works fine

Top Bottom